Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kirk Dietrich

First salt excursion of 2013

Finally got out to the marsh this year. My friend Ed had to be back at the dock before noon but we figured 4 hours would be plenty enough to get a taste of salt. Fish were everywhere but hunkered down only showing when they moved off and away from the boat. We managed four fish in the boat, I had four fish eat and boated three, Ed had three fish eat and boated one - all of the fish were about 20".

The marsh looks pretty torn up and changed around since Hurricane Isaac.

Kirk

Clumps of spartina grass seperated from the main grass islands and deposited out in the middle of ponds. These clumps will sprout and green up for a few months and then die and get washed out.

MyrtleGroveEd2013-5.jpg

Ed selecting a fly.

MyrtleGroveEd2013-2.jpg

Ed with a feisty red.

MyrtleGroveEd2013-11.jpg

My first red of the year.

MyrtleGroveEd2013-6.jpg

Another one.

MyrtleGroveEd2013-10.jpg

Nice report and pictures Kirk. That's really interesting how the grass gets broken off like that. I've never seen that happen-granted we haven't had a major hurricane lately. Also liking the boat setup. What's the make and size?

Thanks.

It's Ed's Go-Devil Surface Drive boat. Its either the 16x54 or 16x60, see the link below. Not good open water boats but we fish the marsh from the boat launch out to maybe ten miles at the most; all protected water.

http://www.godevil.com/GO-DEVIL_SDBoats.htm

Kirk

While I have never fished out of a Go Devil, I can attest to their performance in the marsh. You can cut through some nasty stuff to get to some very remote water.

These pictures are reminding me I need to take a trip to LA.

Thanks for the report Kirk.

beautiful fish- Im in the mix of putting a poling deck on my Jon Boat for this season (for sight fishing carp). If you have any advise PM me... Great pics!

Looks like great fun. I envy you fellas that can pop out to the salt on a whim.