Fly Tying

Considering building another fly rod, been several years since I built one. What I am considering is a 10' 4 weight out of an IM6 blank, nothing real expensive. What I want to use this rod for mostly is nymphing , most of the rivers I will fish with this rod will be in Montana, The Missouri, Madison, Beaverhead ,etc. Is this rod going to be a little light for these rivers, caught a lot fish up there with a 9' 5 weight, never seemed to be a problem. My other consideration for the rod would be to use it in my pontoon boat, I actually fish stillwater more then I do the rivers. Hoping to hear from guys that nymph fish with a light 10' rod. I have to think I will like it out of a pontoon boat, having the extra length to cast . Thanks for any insight on this

Sounds like you already know exactly what you want. For high stick nymphing (czech style) I use a Grey's 10' 2wt and love it. Fish up here max out at around 20" with some exceptions of larger hold overs. Most average 14-18". This rod is very light weight, soft and sensitive yet still has the backbone to get the fish to the net in fast current.

I think a 4wt could be great for float fishing.

Good Lord I hope that 10 foot 4 weight is satisfactory. I am builiding an 11 foot 4 weight (one of many projects for myself that is in the corner while I build rods for customers) I was hoping to have it done by this month but it looks like it is going to be a while now. Bought my blank from Anglers Roost with the sole purpose of building a rod for czech style nymphing on the rivers here in Montana. I fish mostly Rock Creek, the Stillwater, and Big Horn....with occasional jaunts up the Madison and Gallatin.

Good Lord I hope that 10 foot 4 weight is satisfactory. I am builiding an 11 foot 4 weight (one of many projects for myself that is in the corner while I build rods for customers) I was hoping to have it done by this month but it looks like it is going to be a while now. Bought my blank from Anglers Roost with the sole purpose of building a rod for czech style nymphing on the rivers here in Montana. I fish mostly Rock Creek, the Stillwater, and Big Horn....with occasional jaunts up the Madison and Gallatin.

I hope so to, that is why I am asking, no experience with longer lighter rods, limited nymph fishing, as I said I spend more time in a pontoon boat, but want to change that.

I think you are totally on the right track. I have several guide friends who use 10 foot 4 weights on the Bighorn nymphing with great success.

I built a 10 ft 3 wt. I use it for panfish out of my canoe. I find that it is not good for short casts. Takes a fair amount of line to load the rod. Put some salt on this as I am not the best casting in any group that gets together.

Have landed a 6 lb bass on it.

Rick

I have been using 10' rods for nymphing since 1985 when I had Scott make up a 10', 5wt. "G" Series for me - they did that then...I prefer them in 5wt. for larger Western Rivers and because I fish them where it is generally windy. I also prefer a medium action rod for nymphing and have been known to overload a 10', fast action rod for that purpose...

moo-dad_zpsfdc9a94b.jpg

Me and my son, Michael on the east Walker River, Brideport CA...I am using the 10', Scott and he is using a 10', 5wt., Loomis Streamdance - overlined

04-claka_zps9e8b653e.jpg

I particularly like the longer length rods for drift boats, tubes and pontoons...that is the Scott G here, on the Madison...

ally-si-rock-still-04_zpsdbecc827.jpg

They work well here, on the Stillwater River, when the flows are raging in late June and early July...that is my daughter Ally "rockin' the Stillwater in August...

PT/TB

I recognize those boulders....the Stillwater is my favorite stream. Bighorn is second cuz I only fish it in the off season.....I hate fighting for a spot

Just do it!!

I use a long 10' rods almost most of the time im am wading but not in my kayak or boat.

Be fun playing with that Greys 2wt 10' for sure!