Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Markbob

Bass Fishing a small lake

I have an opportunity to fish a small lake near the hotel I am staying at in Choctaw, MS this weekend but not a ton of time. I will be fishing from shore and have two different types of structure I can fish, shallow dark bottom coves with some fallen tree branches and docks or a rock levy with a little vegitation at the waterline. The weather has been quite cold for this time of year and as far as I can tell the fish have not started to bed yet.

if you had to fish only one of the two types of environments, which would you choose for this situation?

Not sure about bass but many species in UK are quick to move into shallow water if its snaggy when the sun beams out in the winter. Keep that in mind if the air temp rises with a good bright sun.

If the temps have been cold, then anything on the north side of the pond. If the body of water is small, then all the fish know where the water warms first. That's the northern shores with good southern exposure. Structure and cover aren't as important as feeding just before looking for beds, and that's going to happen first in the warmer water.