Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SCOwens

Another Dubbing Thread

So for those that haven't seen past threads I figured I would do another. If I can't find a dubbing color I need to match a fly I go to the craft store and buy the yarn. The only problem with the yarn is you only use a small amount of the yarn. Also when I go home to visit my family I rob my mothers wool collection that she uses for needlecrafting. Here are some pictures.

These spools of yarn were solely purchased to match some rabbit strips and some sili legs I purchased.

post-44625-0-87135900-1362963799_thumb.jpg

post-44625-0-84122600-1362963842_thumb.jpg

post-44625-0-52970400-1362963920_thumb.jpg

This is the wool I confiscated from my mothers collection haha

post-44625-0-86500200-1362963977_thumb.jpg

post-44625-0-57207600-1362964000_thumb.jpg

This is unrefined sheeps wool, then the 2nd picture is the finished product (dubbing), the 3rd is a fly that was tied with it (underbody)

post-44625-0-11957900-1362964032_thumb.jpg

post-44625-0-34846800-1362964096_thumb.jpg

post-44625-0-75528800-1362964139_thumb.jpg

If anyone wants some of the green I will gladly create some to trade for some materials haha

Got me a coffee grinder the other day thanks to you Simon....I am gonna start workin up some rusts, browns, tans, black and olives for carp flies this year....who knows, I might give generously to my middle school fly tiers as well.

Take that wool and cut it in small pieces maybe 1/8 inch (Any colors you want ) fill up the coffee grinder. Not the wife's coffee grinder no,no. Get your own. Grind it in small steps, don't just turn it on and leave it. That way you will have all the dubbing you need. Also keep a record of what color and how much of each that you used for the color you wanted. That way you have the same color all the time.

Myself I have packs of about every daubing on the market. I love ot mix them up and make my own dubbing brushes. Using your mother's yarn will save dollars for sure. Good luck.....

Awesome stuff. One of these days I will get a grinder but I am afraid to since I hear making dubbing is almost as addictive as tying

Very nice!

However, the amount of dubbing I got from the various gift boxes from Fly Tyers Dungeon this past Christmas will probably last me a lifetime.

If I attempted to add to the current collection, I think my wife would have me committed.

It sure is incredible the options that are available with this method, instead of seeing yarn you see dubbing haha, its like a fly shop, but you have to stick with plain yarn nothing with the shine mixed in unless it is solid strands because it won't work.

With cutting it into 1/8" pieces thats what I did with the yarn.

Thanks for all the input glad y'all enjoyed it

I wouldn't cut it up too small (1/8 inch) is too small to me. I usually cur it about 1/2 inch down to about 1/4 inch. If it's too small it is almost impossible to dub onto your thread. I like my dubbing to be a little unruly and "buggy" as they say. I can always trim it if it needs it. Plus, I like to mix colors. I almost never blend just one solid color.

Yeah I am unsure of how long I actually trim it, as I have never measured, but its longer than 1/4", also with the dyed wool it is very rarely just one color, it is usually a range of greens or whatever color they used. Also I use ice wing and blend it for shine sometimes