Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Problems with Dumbell eyes

After the figure 8 wraps and CA I also tie in wraps around the area between the hook shank

and the barbell eyes to further tighten the figure 8 wraps.

I like to lay down one layer of thread, buildup a Dam of thread behind where the weight will go. then a drop of CA glue, then wrap the barbell while it is still damp. Figure eight it, then wrap between the barbell and hook to tighten it. I tie a series of weights on hooks, then go back and soak the figure eight threads with thin penetrating CA again. I let it dry while tying up the number of them I need before tying the rest of my fly. I feel that letting the thin CA penetrate may be as good epoxy. Using epoxy for me (appologies to Bob) is just one extra step and time to fool with. I've not had any "turning" of the barbells, but have had to repaint several.

Excellent points which I agree with too. I forgot to say I also build up two little bumps of thread where I want the eye, and position the waist of the eye between them. That seems to help. Also, as KyTB said, I tie up and glue a bunch of eyes and put them aside to cure before completing the flies.

I really like dumbell/hourglass eyes.

Not really much to add to the excellent advice above - I also use the bumps and the "fore-and-aft" wraps to tie the eyes in securely. I also soak the wraps with GOOP thinned with xylene. I'm definitely gonna try Kirk's mono platform method on some big flies I have planned.

Regarding epoxy coats: I did a lot of experimenting with dumbbell eyes years ago - all our albacore shore fishing takes place on jetties, and flies take a tremendous beating on the rocks. I was having a lot of trouble keeping the eyes secure, and one of the things I tried was coating them with epoxy. What I found was that the epoxy helped somewhat keeping the eyes from being destroyed, keeping the paint from chipping, etc., but it didn't really help the eyes stay put. I guess the reason was that the epoxy didn't soak into the wraps deeply enough to make a difference in that regard. You still need to glue the eyes securely and wrap them on good and tight. BTW - This thread would make an excellent primer for anyone who wants to start tying with dumbbell eyes. All the advice above is rock-solid.

Piker, I use 8 - 10 lb.

Stippled described a wrap I use too.

The thread bumps sound like a good idea too, sometimes I tie the eyes in front of the mono up against it and I guess that is like the thread bump, that gives the glue/eyes another surface to stick to. The thing with the twisting I think is that there is only a tiny area of contact with the barbell bar and the shank. These other methods give more surface area between the shank and bar. While the mono platform and other thread techniques may take an extra second or two, to me, its worth the extra time not to have the frustration on the water when fishing to deal with eyes that move.

Kirk