Fly Tying
kampo

cuba next week

Kampo

I am jealous. With the embargo in place and my licensing their is no way for me to get there. With all the agricultural support the U.S. supplies to Cuba you would think we could. Anyway have a safe and Blessed trip and take some pics so you can post them.

Embargo and Ag support......appears to be countradictory.....what's new

Ditz2

You bet. We give them almost a billion a year I agricultural support. Yet you can't travel there or buy even a cigar that we help them grow. All I want to do is go to the beaches and fish there. It's not complicated, Cuba is less then 100 miles away.

That is sadly funny. If that is possible. Just goes to show how stupid our congress is and also shows the mentality of the voter since we keep voting these idiots in office.

That is sadly funny. If that is possible. Just goes to show how stupid our congress is and also shows the mentality of the voter since we keep voting these idiots in office.

It also demonstrates that people sometimes read garbage on forums and take it as gospel. (not to mention any names LOL) The U.S. allows Cuba to BUY certain agricultural products and medical supplies on a cash-and-carry basis. The only "support" the U.S. has ever given post-revolution Cuba is allowing them to buy discounted building materials to rebuild homes destroyed in the recent hurricanes. The notion that the U.S. subsidizes Cuban agriculture is beyond ludicrous.

Peterjay:

Not to get too far off topic, but that is what you are led to believe. We in fact supply them with quite a bit of aide. I am not saying this is wrong or arguing the point. Sorry the photography is not up to your standards, it's the best I could do givedn the time and the circumstances. This is a very good friend of mine who was with the agricultural department at the time and who I still work with.

Never did get a cigar:).

scan0050.pdf

gentleman

i start fiching in cuba in 1997 and this week i going for the 11 time meet my old friends having a cuba libre and havinig a party i,m sorry for you man but thats the world polotics nobody understand this and i can say cuba is a lovely plays to be

i,m busy to pac in all my fishing stuf thake nylon hooks to give a way for the locals

for now greethings from kampo scholte

LMAO - Theo, I'm not looking for an argument either - I wish we could go there too. Like you said, the whole situation's ridiculous. Maybe fly fishermen will succeed in breaking the stalemate.

BTW - I don't know if it's still true, but at one time, the largemouth bass fishing down there was off the charts. A lot of people who'd fished there said the next world record LM was definitely gonna come from Cuba. Bass fishermen were just beginning to explore the real hotspots when the international situation screwed everything up.

If im not mistaken you can do a trip there with Yellow Dog fly fishing adventures. I talked to them at a show. The guy said you go down as a "missionary", do a few things, then fish! A little crazy for my liking since there are plenty of "easy" places on my list to go!

A little off topic.....How many of you actually are old enough to remember the Cuban missle crisis? I remember 3 of our high school teachers being mysteriously called out of class. Not to be seen or heard from for several days. They finally showed up to tell about their experiance. The one that most clicked my interest was Smitty, our shop teacher. He said that he was loaded on a plane wearing full fighting gear. They sat on the tarmac for many hours while the plane was started and warmed up every few minutes so they could take off for Cuba within a few minutes notice. Smitty thought invasion was iminent. In fact, I believe that it was. I would also like to see our relations warm up but make no mistake. Fidel in not our friend though probably the general population would like to see a return of the old style tourism. $$$