Fly Tying
imx

off brand hooks

thanks fellas...the feedback is more less what i've been thinking..gonna do some shopping for the styles i like for certain patterns and give em a go, like many have said the hooks should be just fine,

regards,

imx

Hey guys, I appreciate all of the recommendations for the GCO hooks. Every little bit of positive feedback and every recommendation truly does help. I just got a massive shipment in of over 4,000 packs of hooks so I am restocked on all of my popular sizes/styles and have a few more new styles to add to the site soon. Thanks again, it really means a lot to me! Will.

Hi Will,

Will you have the GC2488 in #22 & #24 in the near future?

Thanks

I'm not sure about "off brand " hooks, but I have tied alot of flies on Mustad signature series. I have caught alot of fish on Mustad hooks. For that matter, several of my friends have caught loads of fish with my Mustad hooked flies. So I'm a fan of those hooks. I've tried them in all kinds of sizes and styles they offer. Side note, I fish for pan fish, and bass. So that accounts for the variety of hooks.

Recently I ordered hooks from Green Caddis Outfitters. I ordered 5 different styles, in 8 sizes. I'm very happy with the Green Caddis hooks. They are sharp, uniform, and strong. I recommend trying them out. I know I plan to order more.

I haven't tried Tiemco hooks. So i don't know what there like. But I do know I won't be finding out either. At least not for what Tiemco's cost!

I mostly use Eagle Claw hooks and have for many years. I also use Mustads. I have only once or twice bought the big names and that was Owner because of the very heavy wire that they have available. I try to buy locally as much as possible and there are no fly shops within a 45min drive. I have bought some of Allens hooks and they were fine for my use and they were the curved shank hooks which I cannot get locally. I would be happy to buy Green Caddis if they have what I need and I will be more than willing to support this site. It would be difficult to put a price on what I have gotten off of this site and I sure appreciate it.

I have been using Togen's for a couple of years now and have been quite happy with them. I order 1000 hooks at a time and to be honest maybe only two or three are bad. A.K. Best once said about the trend of newer, more expensive hooks, "Just think about all of those trout we landed on those hooks (Mustad). How many failures do you remember?"

How many failures do you remember?"

i remember a lot of unclosed eyes on the older now called "classic" mustad hooks

so i guess thats a failure and maybe why tyers switched to other company hooks

ALL hook brands at one point or another lets an oddball hook slip by the quality control guy every now and then

heading into retirement, my money is better in my pocket than an outrageously priced hook companies pocket

AZWoolybugger, I am always expanding the size and style selection. I have doubled what I offered in the past year and am continuing to do so. I do hope to have a line of barbless hooks out very soon, that is currently where I am concentrating my efforts. Thanks. Will.

I like to support the owner of this site and use GCO hooks and they are great, i caught lots of fish on them this past season with no problems; another that i like which is very cost efficient is the Saber hooks which are around 6.99/100 hooks. I think the GCO hools are better quality but that is only my opinion