Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
salty fly

Sum stuff I have been up to.

Getting ready for top water as spring and summer come on.These are the first batch of basla poppers I have made with the fly tuner I made with microwave motor.Thay are hand painted with a brush,Testors and finger nail ploish are what I finished them with.The larger poppers are tyed onTMC 8089 #2 hooks.

post-33030-0-39309100-1365014938_thumb.jpgpost-33030-0-47321300-1365015069_thumb.jpgpost-33030-0-87767900-1365015127_thumb.jpgpost-33030-0-87364400-1365015274_thumb.jpg

The pan fish poppers are tied on a size 8 hook.

post-33030-0-22570500-1365015561_thumb.jpgpost-33030-0-07915800-1365015619_thumb.jpgpost-33030-0-81840700-1365015675_thumb.jpgpost-33030-0-00139100-1365015736_thumb.jpg

deer hair bass bugs,TMC 8089 #2

post-33030-0-42546800-1365015869_thumb.jpgpost-33030-0-80014000-1365015923_thumb.jpg

Thanks for checking them out.

Salty, those look great! What did you shape the bodies with and what kind of clear coat did you use over the paint? I like the shallow cup in the faces, I always strive for that but wound up making it deeper; those should be easy to pick up but still pop nicely. I like the dubbing skirt on the chart. bug a lot.

Kirk

Nice job overall on them! That one with the foil is a hard one to do.

Salty, those look great! What did you shape the bodies with and what kind of clear coat did you use over the paint? I like the shallow cup in the faces, I always strive for that but wound up making it deeper; those should be easy to pick up but still pop nicely. I like the dubbing skirt on the chart. bug a lot.

Kirk

Hey thanks a lot you guys. Keeps me out of trouble.

Kirk,

To make the bodys I use a brass tube,useing my drill,I make plugs cutting it out of a solid block of balsa. Then it is sanded by hand to shape. I put about 4 coats of 2 hr. epoxy thined out a bit with 91% isoproply alchol.For the cup in the face I use my dremel tool,I like it if my finger tip "feels" good in the cup.The dubbing on the chart. is simi-seal dubbed in a dubbing loop.The purple one has a rabbit fur collar in a dubbing loop.The poppers cast like a dream,I can chuck them all day.

IF you guys want I can post some pics how I make the popper bodys,It is eazy and fast way to make nice balsa popper bodys.

I forgot to say that I use a pencil sharpener to get the body first shapeing.

I am gona do a post how I stard the popper bodys.

Thanks

Bryan

Bryan, thanks for sharing. I use the brass tubes also although I've used other methods as well. I haven't had much luck with a pencil sharpener, the one I have tends to chomp the wood so I just chuck a glover's needle in my dremel and impale a piece of dowel and spin it on sandpaper to taper it.

I've got a batch of balsa minnows working right now at the house, it does take a little work but like fishing, I think its time spent that won't be taken off your life.

Kirk

Kirk,

Time spent, Then I will be around a while I guess more time to make stuff, fish and be with my famley. It does take time but what else do I got but time.Do all this work just to feed them to fish. Thanks for checking out my stuff.I just did a new post on how I make my bodys.Ya know, the pencil sharpener does chew the wood, some worse than others, mabey the grain of the wood? I just sand and sand. then sanding sealer and some more sanding,,,Ya know. I should give the spin trick a try.

Hey Salty, not sure how you sand but I found that making a channel in a block of wood works real well for sanding the taper part of the bug. See below.

Kirk

DSC_5076_zps9cc254ae.jpg

DSC_5080_zps870a9b1c.jpg