Fly Tying
Travis Bille

Pet Hair Swap

yep, the husky hair is suprisingly waterproof, so is deer hound. It works great on emergers and buzzers that you want to sit high. I always use a different material somewhere normally around the thorax and rib with wire to help keel the fly.

yep, the husky hair is suprisingly waterproof, so is deer hound. It works great on emergers and buzzers that you want to sit high. I always use a different material somewhere normally around the thorax and rib with wire to help keel the fly.

This fall when the dog blows his coat again I will collect enough hair for a hundred guys to use. I have an unlimited supply of white and dirty gray dubbing and longer outer coat. He doesn't seem to lose any of the black hairs. This is going to be really interesting to learn to use this material! I'll be ready for the next swap for sure!

I just got my winter coat shaved off at the barber, and as the long black curls fell on the apron I looked at them and thought, "Man, that is some good looking hair, I wonder how it would tie up..." If it wasn't such a cute girl chatting me up, I probably would have asked for some in a bag to take home. What I needed was some crusty old man with taxidermy on the walls in his barbershop, he would have totally understood. But this brings up another interesting concept for a fly swap...

I just got my winter coat shaved off at the barber, and as the long black curls fell on the apron I looked at them and thought, "Man, that is some good looking hair, I wonder how it would tie up..." If it wasn't such a cute girl chatting me up, I probably would have asked for some in a bag to take home. What I needed was some crusty old man with taxidermy on the walls in his barbershop, he would have totally understood. But this brings up another interesting concept for a fly swap...

um, let me think about that...NO! haha!

Wow, that filled fast! Here's a fly tied from a post-44758-0-30597400-1367503853_thumb.jpgSt. Bernard named Gibson. Except for the eyes and pink throat it's all "Gibson"

Beautiful action in the water. Caught both sea trout and reds on it.

Okay guys, we have a dropout, so there is one spot open now. I'm going to give preference to the people that expressed interest in doing Pet Hair 2.0.

So of these people, whoever gets back to me first is in.

1. Flysmallie

2. MRidenour

3. Saltybum

4. Mybadhabit's person, Margaretann

If we go a few days and I don't hear from any of them, I'll leave the last spot open to whoever wants it

I have decided on my pattern that I am going to tie- its going to be a Gotcha tied with my Golden Retrievers hair instead of craft fur so we shall call it Abigails Gotcha

Well I checked my baggies of St. B and it looks like enough if I tie smaller baitfish.

I'm in!

I'll also contact Gibson's owner and get some more in the meantime.

I have my pattern done and ready for shipment so I need an address. You may PM me if you wish. This is the pattern I chose for the swap. Nothing too original but it promimently shows off Lucy's fur. I call it the Beagle Bugger!

post-35746-0-84412000-1367685795_thumb.jpgpost-35746-0-94708000-1367685808_thumb.jpg

Here's my Lucy who so generously donated her fur to the cause.

post-35746-0-18466600-1367686010_thumb.jpg

We only have 9 tyers in this group, we have room for a couple more I think. I tied up a dozen thinking there would be 12 of us. I say let Margretann and a couple more in...if the rest are OK with it.