Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlyTieDad

Painted Hooks?

I picked up some hooks the other day and as I was new to the brand I stress tested a few of them.
They seemed to preform nicely without cracking or breaking.
However, they did flake off some type of coating. It was a bronze color and left the hook a more dull metal color.

I dropped the hook in water and have not seen it develop an rust, so I'm wondering what this coating is and has anyone else seen this before?

I tested an equivalent size older Mustad hook and it didn't flake.

Do particular brands coat their hooks while others don't?

Thanks for your input,
FlyTieDad

Many hooks are varnished to protect the metal. It should not flake off without some serious abuse. I would return them to the retailer. He needs to know about the problem.

Many hooks are varnished to protect the metal. It should not flake off without some serious abuse. I would return them to the retailer. He needs to know about the problem.

Yes, this hook did take some abuse. I was stress testing it and bent it in half to see if it would break.

It didn't and was fine.

I was just surprised that the Mustad didn't appear to have the same coating when I bent it in half as well.

sounds more like the bronze plating didn't adhere correctly to the steel.

No surprize at all that the Mustad held up just fine. Mustad fly hooks have always been superior quality.

Some hooks are electro-plated = plating can flake off.

Some hooks are painted/varnished = paint/varnish can flake off

Some hooks are stainless = no flaking

Some hooks are "galvanized" = depending on the process, which is similar to electro-plating, it can flake off if too thickly done. If it's properly done, the galvanic reaction can lay down a thin layer which is bonded to and practically indistinguishable from the underlying metal. This results in a good corrosion resistance without adding noticeable thickness or weight. This is probably what Mustad does.

In any case, leaving a piece of metal like a hook under water does not prove or disprove corrosion resistance. Leave something in distilled water, and it won't corrode. The more contaminants in the water, the more galvanic corrosion it can cause. Most corrosion we are used to seeing, like rust, is oxidation corrosion ... and that requires the hook be left in the air after getting it wet.

Not that any of the above matters ... again, I am just typing to pass the time.

It ALL matters, Mike.

This would be a very empty hobby if we didn't pay attention to the details.