Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dzura

Looking for help in fl

I recently moved to fl and am now living in the boynton beach area not to far from the inlet if you know the area and sadly I cannot find a place to fly fish at all that dosnt require a boat does anyone know a place to go that is close to boynton I don't have a car .... Thanks to the mechanic before I drove down so I'm biking for the mean time now any help would be greatly appreciated

flyfish off the beach at dawn before people show up. The snook should start showing up in the surf pretty soon

I don't know what you'd catch down there, but up north, we do quite a bit of night fishing during the tourist season. No crowds and the fish come in close. Just make sure to get your feet out of the water if you hear any "Jaws" music. bumbumbumbumbumBUMBUMBUMBUMBUM!!!!!!

An inlet sounds like a great place to fish. I'd ride my bike down to some of the marina/bars and hang out or find a sporting goods store and ask around.

Welcome to Florida, land of the rich snobby Yankees who don't want anyone on or around their precious property. Used to be you could fish anywhere anytime w/o hassles but long gone are those days. South Fl is the worst too. Good suggestions above and you might try knocking on doors and getting to know your maybe not so near neighbors and even offering to help clean up their shorelines etc. if it looks really good to you. Being polite and friendly can go a long ways. Once you get to know one, then you start throwing names around to the other neighbors..

Try the approach "What are those beautiful flowers you have growing here? Etc. etc. . . then after warming them up some mention the fishing AND ALWAYS offer to give them some fresh cleaned fillets. Works wonders.

As noted above, in some respects we're not exactly paradise.... Now for the fishing - Dawn and dusk are your best shots for beach flyfishing and the moment beachgoers begin to show up you're done.... An 8wt is a great starting size (but a 7wt or a 9wt will also do....). Beach fishing means covering some ground and remembering that if the wind allows your targets will only be thirty feet or so from the sand... All your casting will be at a 45 degree angle to the beach... Some of the best spots will be near ocean inlets (if you can gain access). Small minnow patterns on 1/0 or smaller hooks will be your first choice.

Now for the freshwater side (after you get your freshwater license....go to myfwc.com for licensing info...). Every canal in south Florida holds fish (even the ones that look like toxic dumps). Once again access is your first problem, then choosing locations to fish. Peacocks won't be found where you are but will show to the south. For canal fishing I'd keep a sharp eye for places where two canals cross, places where culverts or pipes allow a flow between a small lake and a canal, etc. If possible remember that just getting to the west of developed areas (out towards saw grass, away from cities) will go a long way to putting you on fish. Some of the best urban freshwater and brackish water fishing will be after heavy rains when spillways open up and every canal has a current flow.... Since we're coming into the rainy season the rain part will be an almost every day thing...

Your best resource will be any local fly shop... When there ask about local fly clubs and try for any chance to hook up with local anglers... Good luck.

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

Good comments above and definitely watch out for the angry, rich snobs who moved down south and think they own everything. I grew up not too far from there and the beach is a great spot spot for summer time snook and plenty opportunities to fish canals and lakes for bass. There are fish in pretty much any puddle you find over there. A lot of them you will be asked to leave from but you can usually land a fish or two before that happens and move on to the next place. One more thing I would look into is fishing some of the spillways for snook, tarpon and jacks. We used to fish the C-15 a lot in your area and another one on Military and Hillsboro which isn't too far away either once you get a vehicle. I think there are a few others around there too but I don't remember. You may have to hop a fence or two to get in but they can produce some nice fish. They usually open those things after a good rain. There used to be a website where we could go on and check if the spillways were opened or closed, but I don't remember what it is. Stop in at Ole Florida Fly Shop and talk to Darren and he will point you in the right direction. Good luck and enjoy.