Fly Tying
natedubay

Waterproofing flies

In the end though, arguing over the internet is pretty much worthless.

There ya go bud, at least you're right about something!!

You could spray WD-40 down your throat for all I care, hell it'd probably do you some good!

But seriously, just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you have to constantly voice it. Especially since you have never tried using WD-40 on a fly yourself so you cannot vouch for it's use to waterproof a fly. That's what this topic is about after all.... Waterproofing flies.

I think it is fair to assume, you also have never used WD-40 to waterproof flies. Yet you have absolutely no hesitation to voice YOUR opinion that it is purely evil and should never be used lest it turn every waterway it touches into a biological wasteland.

Can't have it both ways.

Oh, and for those of us that are worried about environmental impact or think that all fly fishing products are capable of environmental harm: loonoutdoors.com

I searched their entire site for links to MSDSs for the ingredients in their products. I use their Aquel and Fly Tying waxes all the time. I sent them an e-mail asking for MSDSs for those two products.

I have a strong hunch that both of those contain oil distillates of some kind, similar to our contentious WD-40. IMO the reason they can blurt out they have "no" environmental impact is the QUANTITY generally used and introduced into the waterway is so tiny that it has basically no measurable effect. That does not mean it is harmless----

I'll post whatever reply I get from them.

The father in law today had some great floatant from France. It is for fly fishing and has a lovely fish taking a fly on the bottle label, then on the back in big red triangle, Warning danger to aquatic environment!!

This thread is whack! Lol, i always forget my floatant so i get the fly and the sleeve of my t- shirt and squeeze it, now it floats. Simple is good yo.

Yeah its amazing how many times I expect a slimey wet fly to keep floating when all it needs is a quick squeeze.

Haha, i swear some people over complicate things :)

In the end though, arguing over the internet is pretty much worthless.

There ya go bud, at least you're right about something!!

You could spray WD-40 down your throat for all I care, hell it'd probably do you some good!

But seriously, just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you have to constantly voice it. Especially since you have never tried using WD-40 on a fly yourself so you cannot vouch for it's use to waterproof a fly. That's what this topic is about after all.... Waterproofing flies.

I think it is fair to assume, you also have never used WD-40 to waterproof flies. Yet you have absolutely no hesitation to voice YOUR opinion that it is purely evil and should never be used lest it turn every waterway it touches into a biological wasteland.

Can't have it both ways.

Where did I say it is evil? Sorry you are so easily confused, but my opinion is that YOU are irresponsible to defend something that hurts the environment, no mater how little effect you believe it has. Especially since there are better products to use that don't contain lubricants, anti-corrosion agents, ingredients for penetration, and soil removal. Even the company that stands to make money quote; "does not recommend using WD-40 to attract fish".

Loon products are silicone based, and the back of the bottle that I have says nothing about "DANGER! Harmful or fatal if swallowed. May cause eye irritation. Avoid eye contact. Use with adequate

ventilation" etc. etc.

If you enjoy living in filth instead of being realistically proactive about it, that's your problem.

I guess some people have to be told not to eat the yellow snow. Use your brain.

if the fly is tied properly why use a floatant. most times a back cast will shed the water and the fly will float if you tie it with the right material. if it sinks to often then change the fly !

Using any silica based stuff is a danger to the envioment and your lungs.

Oh, and for those of us that are worried about environmental impact or think that all fly fishing products are capable of environmental harm: loonoutdoors.com

I searched their entire site for links to MSDSs for the ingredients in their products. I use their Aquel and Fly Tying waxes all the time. I sent them an e-mail asking for MSDSs for those two products.

I have a strong hunch that both of those contain oil distillates of some kind, similar to our contentious WD-40. IMO the reason they can blurt out they have "no" environmental impact is the QUANTITY generally used and introduced into the waterway is so tiny that it has basically no measurable effect. That does not mean it is harmless----

I'll post whatever reply I get from them.

I am really interested in this as well. I could not find anything as far as a MSDS either. But I am ver curious. Thank you very much for calling them out as far as actual ingredient list. I just hope they do not reply to you with proprietary ingredients!!

Loon replied with MSDSs for the two products I mentioned. Aquel is 88% Methylpolysiloxane which is basically Dimethicone Silicone. The balance of ingredients (not listed) are, "non-hazardous ... or hazardous in less than one percent in concentration" which means the remaining 12% could be made of anything, as long as anything "hazardous" doesn't make up any more than one percent.

Swax is Mineral Oil, Microcrystalline Wax, and Fumed Silica, with the same "balance of ingredients" disclaimer. Mineral Oil and Microcrystalline Wax are both Petroleum Distillates.

I haven't used any other Loon products except UV Knot Sense.

Again, the takeaway is that these are non-hazardous because the quantities in use are so small. Take a fish and throw it into a bucket of Aquel and see how quickly it dies. Keep the same fish in its home in a stream and let a couple of micrograms of WD-40 float past him and see how quickly it is ignored.

Where did I say it is evil? Sorry you are so easily confused, but my opinion is that YOU are irresponsible to defend something that hurts the environment, no mater how little effect you believe it has. Especially since there are better products to use that don't contain lubricants, anti-corrosion agents, ingredients for penetration, and soil removal. Even the company that stands to make money quote; "does not recommend using WD-40 to attract fish".

Loon products are silicone based, and the back of the bottle that I have says nothing about "DANGER! Harmful or fatal if swallowed. May cause eye irritation. Avoid eye contact. Use with adequate

ventilation" etc. etc.

If you enjoy living in filth instead of being realistically proactive about it, that's your problem.

I guess some people have to be told not to eat the yellow snow. Use your brain.

You said "It's not a good idea to use wd-40 no matter the situation."

Not all Loon products are silicone based.

Find a fly floatant which does not contain anything which can also be used as a lubricant, anti corrosion agent, penetrant, or solvent. The fumed silica dusts immediately come to mind, but they don't modify the physical properties of the fly, they are just desicants, removing water.

I can show you quite a few trout streams in Pennsylvania which have NATURAL petroleum seeps and the stream inhabitants seem to be doing fine.

I have no trouble defending my position that by driving a few miles to fish, you introduce more pollutants into the environment than all the Fly Fishermen who have ever used WD-40 on flies in whatever waterway to which you drive. Prove otherwise, and I'll listen.

As I've said very clearly, I don't use it on flies, I don't condone using it on flies.