Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
theflyfanatic

help

just wondering if anyone would be able to tell me what fly swaps are?

im new to this site and was just wondering what fly swaps are because they

sound very interesting.i might try to join one in the future. help answering asap,

They are probably just what you think they are...people tying flies and swapping them for flies that others in the group have tied. Generally they have parameters-a theme of some kind. Like dry flies or nymphs or classic salmon flies. Everyone in the group ties enough flies for everyone in the group and sends them to the SWAPMEISTER (the person who organized the swap). He then distributes one of each fly to everyone in the group. You can read up on all the rules and guidelines in the swap board.

A member hosts the swap and posts what fly is to be tied and how many are to be in the swap. If you are interested in joining the swap then you just reply by saying that you want in (until the swap is full) Shoebop beat me to the answer, but after already typing it I thought I would hit the "post" button anyway...

It allows you the chance to see how much better other people are than you at tying certain patterns.

You also will have a box of flies that you just look at and never fish then.

Don't listen to him. He is a prime example of someone that I think is a better tier than me...

Swaps are great to get in to. They will help you find other patterns to try and make you a better tyer. I have copied most of the swap flies I have gotten. And if I need an idea for something I look back on my swap flies. You may like it.

Kevin

Swaps are a great way to LEARN. Getting in all those different flies, looking them over closely, sometimes with a magnifying glass, seeing how more experienced, or just different tiers, do things. I learned a lot doing the swaps.

And if you do get into a swap, it's traditional to send a couple of extras along for the swapmeister. It's kind of a hassle to host a swap, so as a thank you for hosting, give the swapmeister some flies.

thanks everyone for the help, if anyones looking for a swap member im in! but i only tie dryflys and wetflys that are mostly for trout.

ive been tying since iwas about eight and pretty experienced for my age. let me know what ya think:)

thanks everyone for the help, if anyones looking for a swap member im in!

you have to search the swap forum for swaps you want to join and then post that you want to join that swap

please get aquainted with the rules of the swap forum read the pinned items at the top of this link

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showforum=24

you will have to participate in a certain number of swaps BEFORE you can start a swap of your own.

thanks everyone for the help, if anyones looking for a swap member im in!

you have to search the swap forum for swaps you want to join and then post that you want to join that swap

ok thanks for the help ill look