Fly Tying
MWl

FF for carp

Anyone FF for carp? I was fishing a local pond the other night. There was a ton of large carp. They where just moving around the surface. Sometimes looked like they were sipping air. I have caught a few carp in my life by accident. Anyway, does anyone have any info on this? Can they be caught while cruising along the top? I tried fishing under them with a small crayfish but no luck.

Thanks,

MWL

They may have been eating cottonwood seeds or mulberries. These are the only natural foods, that I know of, that will consistantly have carp feeding on the surface. Flies which imitate these floating food sources can be use.

Yeah all the insects that hatch on in upto the surface take carp. They may have been hovering up the balls of midge emergers that can appear. Try a madam x hopper that'll land with a plop and hold the rod tight. Crane fly imitations work great. Or try slow sinking chubby nymph that'll land with a plop and slowly drop. Around over hanging foliage the carp are quite attuned to the noise of dinner falling in.

I once caught a carp on a pop r topwater bass lure maybe a small white gurgler would get one plus if your in a pond you know bass will eat it