Fly Tying
NsFlyFisherman

My best so far..

I noticed on this one the topping doesn't touch the tail what you want is to tie in your tail then what I do is take some other thread start it at the head where I will be tying in my topping then select a topping that will fit where I want it by tying it in temporarily with the thread I tied in once I find the one that fits correctly I untie it set it aside and remove the thread continue tying the rest of the fly until its done also for other things I noticed the butt is a bit large it should only be 2 turns of ostrich herl but it is definitely fishable

It's a nice effort. I'm not really one to talk, though, as I don't tie classic salmon flies. If you really want to learn the craft, take it to our sister site: http://www.classicflytying.com/index.php?s=c930b64fd0fefb3f74fbcd5a93b394f2&showforum=5

Those guys are masters! You'd better have a thick skin, though, and really be willing to learn....

Good start, definitely fishing quality at least. Your floss needs a lot of work if you want to start display flies, you should also invest in some good toppings. I agree with PHG, join the site, they'll help you, but you may not get the comments you want right away.

Good start, definitely fishing quality at least. Your floss needs a lot of work if you want to start display flies, you should also invest in some good toppings. I agree with PHG, join the site, they'll help you, but you may not get the comments you want right away.

Any tips on how I make the floss better?

Thanks for the feedback, I don't think I am ready to be judged by the masters yet.

Floss work isn't terribly hard, but it is fussy. You first need a smooth under layer. Many tiers use white flat waxed nylon for the under layer. Second, you really need to watch for thread buildup, especially at tie in points. Take the time to flatten the thread as you wind, and after you've wound through a section, burnish it. The floss itself should be a single, untwisted layer with a slight overlap that, when burnished, disappears, making the section smooth. It just takes practice and attention to detail.

for floss work you need to use a file & lotion on your fingers till they are baby butt smooth to avoid snags. I like a layer of silver tinsel under 1 layer of floss it really makes the floss shine when wet.