Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfisher247365

Bass bug

does anyone make a kit that has all the essentials for tying the deer hair bass bug. When i go to fly tying websites there is so much to choose from and i dont want to get the wrong thing. any help will be appreciated i have to be able to tie a couple of bass flies to justify buying a new rod so the old lady wont kill me lol.

thanks

Daniel

Not sure if there is any kits out there, but it only requires a few materials.

I use either rabbit zonkers for the tail or 4-6 hackle feathers and a little marabou.

Add some flash material and the rest is deer belly hair in your favorite colors.

I prefer using gelspun thread in 210 denier. Hook is usually a stinger hook in sizes 4-3/0 or anything with a good gape.

good luck

pick the fly you want to tie and buy those materials

for example

if you wanted to tie a "fruit cocktail" deer hair bass fly you would buy the materials in the given recipe

click on photo to expand

p.s. yes there are kits for tying bass flies. GOOGLE search for them

If you have a local shop just say to them what you want to tie, if they have ever tied a fly they should be able to help.

Another place you might want to check is Chris Helm's Whitetailflytying shop. He might be able to help put together a kit for you.

Bruce is right about it becoming a large habit.

Steve

Be careful, working with Deer hair can become a large habit!

LOL...I've called my Taxidermist before and said: "Hey Man...You got the Stuff" biggrin.png

He's my Supplier of Free Deer Tails and tanned hides whenever I want them.

I'm down to 4 tails out of 12 I got the last trip there and I know how to use a shop vac after a session with Deer Hair and Razor Blades wink.png

Nice Frogs Bruce!!!

Be careful, working with Deer hair can become a large habit!

Nice, I have been tying lizzies lately as well, a lot of fun! Is there a trick to make them move better in the water?

Definitely call Chris helm as a couple of others have previously mentioned! If you don't have good deer hair, it can be very frustrating! Chris hand picks his and will set you up with everything you need.....I get all of my deer hair from him.....I ran into him at theBUFF show this past winter and stocked up......he had been sick and quit the show circuit for awhile.......

Mike