Fly Tying
Crackleback

July 2013 Flies From The Vise

Just a few things in between doing a bulk load of bass flies.

Simple chinook fly.

P7032449_zpsd831377e.jpg

The old purple spey, millions of variations on this more steelhead orientated.

P7032448_zpsc0d008a3.jpg

Working on my BM winging, goes along swimmingly now when i can find some quality slips.

P7022446_zps57f128cd.jpg

As always Mike some beautiful ties. I have been busy at the vice myself pumping out 3 months worth of flies for a swap and stocking the bass box.

My flies look ok in person usually but translate very poorly in photographs these days lol.....hey at least the fish like them

Hahaha Corey, i know exactly what you mean, the macro is nasty in a way i mean i don't use a magnifyer to tie with so often the photos are the first magnified image i see of them, usually see errors or just little mistakes. As mentioned tho the fish don't care just so long as it swims okay. The bass box here needs some attention just glad i can sneak in a few salmon flies to break up the monotony.

*edit* I'll add 1 more as my ccg has cured, but this is a pink salmon fly - silver tinsel on hook, wrap with lazer wrap, coat with ccg to make smooth, add throat and wing...Swing for the horde of pinks. Ignore the hook point, reclaimed hook that i am filing away.

P7032456_zps96c4bd37.jpg

Very sexy wing........

P7022446_zps57f128cd.jpg

Forget the wing, look at that head!

I was always turned on by the "Feather Wing" salmon flies of Schwiebert in Flick's "Master Fly Tying". They were hand painted renditions of low water salmon flies that I thought were really beautiful and of course the heads were perfect. Schwiebert recommended Veniards Cellire varnish to polish off the flies.http://waterswest.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=589
I always see the head of a fly as a mark of a well tied fly.
Wish I could tie 'em and swing 'em but that ain't gonna happen, but they are great flies to just look at.
Ha............I must be part Salmon gaping at them!

Carson,

I loved the look of these soft hackles; nice work!

TC

Thank you, TC!

Some Extended Body Deep Sparkle Pupas.

Enjoy!

Thank You and Tight Lines,

Carson LeBoeuf

post-43009-0-28971300-1372892647_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys! The head still needs a coat of ccg hydro, then a coat of essie...the cellire varnish is still available but some people have concerns using it as it can be quite toxic.

Considering giving some of that veevus thread a go as it is superfine so i should be able to shrink the heads. 6/0 is quite difficult but learning with it you reduce the thread wraps....sometimes lol. Oh well back to work!

Thanks guys! The head still needs a coat of ccg hydro, then a coat of essie...the cellire varnish is still available but some people have concerns using it as it can be quite toxic. Considering giving some of that veevus thread a go as it is superfine so i should be able to shrink the heads. 6/0 is quite difficult but learning with it you reduce the thread wraps....sometimes lol. Oh well back to work!

Your kidding ! Eye length heads are the mark aren't they. You want to go smaller than that?

6/0 is a great thread.... the ole time tiers are giggling at you. Don't change.... your doin' just fine. Great by my standards!

Figured I would post some of what I got tied today, nothing to fancy but I bet they all catch fish;-)

La Bomba

post-45233-0-80140600-1372896766_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-81427600-1372896818_thumb.jpg

Little Black Fly

post-45233-0-91147300-1372896865_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-37960800-1372896921_thumb.jpg

Twisted Little Fox

post-45233-0-67341300-1372896996_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-56127500-1372897051_thumb.jpg

These twisted little fox flies are amazing for small mouth bass. I hooked into a 2.5 and a 3.5-4lb fish a few days ago swinging these bad boys near the shoreline under tree's (2.5lb fish slipped off while landing and the monster smallie spit the hook in a triumphant jump and headshake). I have a feeling they imitate a crayfish's movement really well, all the takes where shortly after picking up the swing from the mend when the fly was near the rocky bottom.

Nice work Corey! The twisted fox fly also looks like it would be great for carp!

Here is an orange heron but with silver tinsel, then lazer wrap, then ccg for the rear body...photo doesnt really pick it up but it sure has a nice glo.

P7042461_zpse82fcad9.jpg

Then this beastly featherwing, reclaimed hook i probably have to sharpen a tad, lol

P7042460_zpsf364973a.jpg

Hahaha Corey, i know exactly what you mean, the macro is nasty in a way i mean i don't use a magnifyer to tie with so often the photos are the first magnified image i see of them, usually see errors or just little mistakes. As mentioned tho the fish don't care just so long as it swims okay. The bass box here needs some attention just glad i can sneak in a few salmon flies to break up the monotony.

*edit* I'll add 1 more as my ccg has cured, but this is a pink salmon fly - silver tinsel on hook, wrap with lazer wrap, coat with ccg to make smooth, add throat and wing...Swing for the horde of pinks. Ignore the hook point, reclaimed hook that i am filing away.

P7032456_zps96c4bd37.jpg

My eyes are hurting from looking at this fly. LOL

Very Nice looking fly.

Been fishing late afternoon lately because of the heat. It's not too often we get to fish with big attractor dry flies around here, but that's what they want right now. Humpy's, Coachman's, etc. Here's an especially photogenic Royal Wulff variation.

royal_wulff.jpg