Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fletchfishes

Classics Books: Caddisflies and Presentation

I've been told that reading "Caddisflies" by LaFontaine and "Presentation" by Borger will prove immensely valuable in my continued effort to become a better fly fisherman / tyer. However, both of these books are over $150 anywhere I've seen and they aren't carried by my regional library network.

Is there any reasonable way to get these books? I'm not looking for collectibles but books I can put to their proper use for reading and don't have $300 to spend for reading materials.

Thanks!

libraries can often interlibrary loan it for you. You may want to try to ask them about it

That's unreal! Gary Borger has written a number of books, over the years, and I'm sure some of the newer ones would be equally helpful. Reading Waters from 2011 would probably cover much of the same material for considerably less cost.

(Gary should probably consider publishing a second edition of Presenatation.)

You might also check out books by Joe Humphrey's or Lee Wulff if you are into some of the older classics.

Try reading....

"How To Fish From Top to Bottom" ...Sid Gordon

"Fly Fishing Strategy".....Swisher and Richards

"Nymphs" and "Matching the Hatch"...Schwiebert

I think you will find all the ideas given by GB and GLF in this selection. None of these titles are expensive used online.

"Caddisflies" by LaFontaine is an awesome book. I get it from my local library at least once a year. Try there before you buy it!

Appreciate the tip. Checked the full Minuteman Library network which is the library network for the greater Boston area. No luck. Still looking for a reasonable cost method of reading "presentation" but at least I have a few others to read in the meantime!

I hate to tell you this (my wife is a librarian) but a valuable book like Presentation will get stolen in a heartbeat, so no library will lend it, even if they have it. It will go into the "rare books" collection, if they have one, and will be available for perusal only under close supervision.

I have talked to Gary about re-issuing Presentation many times. A reissue will not be made soon if ever.

He is currently working on a 20 book library series that expands on Presentation. The 4th in the series, Angler as Predator is in prerelease. Reading Waters is part of that series

There is a Spanish edition that is still available:

http://tinyurl.com/jwlo6ph

Regarding Caddisflies, it is a must read for every fly fisher but it is limited to a single insect.

Presentation is an all encompassing book that covers all the major areas of fly fishing. It covers everything from fly fishing tackle to trout biology to entomology to reading water to fly casting to fishing strategies to fighting and landing fish.