Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dahoffman72

What is meant by "The reverse wing method"?

I have seen several mentions in some of the tying books I have about attaching a hackle using the reverse wing method, but have not been able to a suitible description of this. Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Thanks for the help

I've heard of "reverse mounting" feather tip wings.

Instead of tying in your feather tip wings with the butt ends over the hook bend, you do the exact opposite. That is to tie in the wings with the butt ends over the top of the hook eye.

I don't really see the advantage to doing it this way though..

The reverse-mount feather tip wing method is on page 253 of the Fly Tiers benchside reference if that's what you are looking for. It looks like A.K. Best uses a similar method, that might help in a Google search...

its an excellent article on the "wonder wing" but not the "reverse wing method"

"reverse wing method" was never reference in the article

is this what hes talking about

http://www.nsfa-adventures.com/adams_reversed.jpg

Flytire, the wing and hackle are very similar to the fly I am working on (Tony Route's Sockeye Orange). I believe if I tie the wing material in as mentioned above, (butt of the material toward the shank) and fold it back and tie in, it will give the wing the angle desired. Thanks to all for your input and guidance.

Never heard of wonder wings refered to as reversed hackle wings before. Am I the only one?

I'm sure there are a lot of things you (and I) have never heard before:

"Reverse-hackle wings, sometimes called "Wonder Wings," appear to have made their way to this country from Europe in the early 1950s." (An excellent description of the method and types of feathers suitable to the technique are found in this article.)

The Fly-Tyer's Benchside Reference; p260; by Leeson and Schollmeyer.

Never heard of wonder wings refered to as reversed hackle wings before. Am I the only one?

I'm sure there are a lot of things you (and I) have never heard before:

"Reverse-hackle wings, sometimes called "Wonder Wings," appear to have made their way to this country from Europe in the early 1950s." (An excellent description of the method and types of feathers suitable to the technique are found in this article.)

Thanks for the documentation smile.png Wonder wings are indeed reversed hackle wings!

And for another interpretation....

I took the thread's title as a reference to Ed Haas' method of mounting wings on steelhead flies.

Wow, so much knowledge to absorb, and more to practice. I may have to quit my day job :-)

Do you know this book? You'll have to at least take a leave of absence from your job to really study it...

Saying it's obsessive and overkill is an understatement. They have 25 ways to do every simple fly tying maneuver like mounting hooks, starting thread, cutting thread... and once the material and techniques get going... I love it but it really is the "War and Peace" of fly tying literature.