Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
culrich6

First Flies, Please Critique

I just recently started attempting to tie flies. I made several of each fly pictured here and the ones picture are what I would consider the best out of each group. Please critique and comment on things you see that need tweaking or are way off. I am used to working on my wood lathe making game calls so working with such a small sized object is proving to be a big challenge for me. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear

IMG_1168_zpsf3020ef3.jpg

Green Weenie

IMG_1167_zpsae7dca58.jpg

Brassie

IMG_1172_zpsc5903b6a.jpg

Foam Beetle

IMG_1169_zpsaea74c5c.jpg

Pheasant Tail Nymph

IMG_1164_zps8141cde3.jpg

Parachute Adams

IMG_1174_zps83512cdf.jpg

Not sure what you would call these, I was just messing around with the few materials that I have

IMG_1170_zpsa90f5bdb.jpg

IMG_1178_zps5d5c9767.jpg

Sorry for the photo quality, these small flies are hard to photograph

Corey

Great for your first flies! I would maybe google dubbing technique and parachute hackling. Not that it is horrible, but it sometimes makes the differences between a good fly and an awesome fly. If you need any help with anything just shoot me a pm.

Something I have always had a problem with is "overdubbing" or "over tailing", in other words using to much material. Most newer tiers have the problem at first and are either instructed by a knowledgable tier or just come to realize it on their own. In my opinion if someone will take the critiquing and learn with out having to take years at it , than they are ahead of the game. You have a good grasp and your flies will catch fish. The more YOU critique them and develop your skills so they look like the old timer's flies, the better off you are.

Murray

the parachute post should be about at the 1/3 area behind the hook eye not at mid shank

parachute7.jpg

parachute tutorial

http://www.troutflies.com/tutorials/parachute/01.shtml

flash back hares ear could use a little work on proportion

Flashback_Hares_Ear_M.gif

all flies will catch fish

additional info. please bookmark for future reference

dubbing techniques

http://ukflydressing.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sbs&action=display&thread=4046

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments. I just got my tying stuff from my wife for my birthday this year so it has been only a month since I have been trying to tie these. My proportions are definitely off on that hare's ear and my parachute is also way too far back. I have found it very hard to finish off those parachute flies without getting the hackles wrapped up in my whip finish. Flytire, thanks for the links, bookmarked them and will be referencing them on my next ties. Also wanted to say thanks to everyone on here who is willing to help us newbies out. This site has a lot of great information all in one place.

Corey

Thanks guys. SIlvercreek I agree the proportions on all my first flies seem to be off. The link FlyTire posted has some good info on dubbing fly bodies and I hope that it will help me progress forward with my proportions.

I learned that critiquing while positive often leads you to tying their way and not your own. Im still learning but I think the hardest thing for me was a dubbing loop. I always pull mine back as i wrap then brush it out with a hookside of velcro that i attached to popsicle stick. Thise look pretty darn good!