Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
LP ID 66

Using Wild Grouse and Partridge feathers

Hey

I have been skinning out some of the Sharpe-tailed Grouse capes. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on skinning and preserving their own game birds? Also does anyone have any patterns with game bird feathers? besides just using them as a different soft hackle? I have Sharpe-tails, huns, and chukar. Hoping to get some blue, and ruffed grouse as well, maybe a spruce if I am lucky. Any suggestion would be sweet thanks.

I'm not sure about a pattern but they have many uses. Along with soft hackles I have a grouse skin and like the body feather with the spot. I use them for eyes like JC. The marabou on them like any other you use. Also a sub for small spey hackle.

Kevin

Apart from their obvious uses as soft hackles, I would suggest spey flies (soft game wound palmer style), the killer style New Zealand flies (relatively small game feathers tied along the side and leaning over the shank to form a tent), New Zealand "Craig's Nightime" family (where the wings are tied on top of the hook).

Would they be large enough for streamers?

I notice you only have the capes. If you had the wing feathers, there are a lot of traditional wet fly patterns using those. Perhaps you could use the fibres as a rolled wing?

As for preserving, try this link http://www.uky.edu/~agrdanny/flyfish/petti.htm and this one http://www.flyfishingwis.com/html/tying_materials.htmlJust about everything anyone would need to know.

Hope that helps. have fun!

Cool.. I was thinking the marabou looked cool on the legs. What kind of grouse skin do you have??

We have rough grouse here. I would love to get some of the other you have. After skinning I use 20 Mule Team Borax on the hide.

Kevin

After skinning I pin them to a piece of the board that looks like plastic cardboard craft stores have it. Once stretched and pinned ( I use the pins with the little plastic balls on the end) I sprinkle borax on them. Scrape any excess meat and fat off of the skin before and during the drying process.

Kevin

Do maybe have anything to trade for sharp-tail skin possibly other birds if I get some? I wouldn't say they are worth much I guess since I am just starting this, but I would be up to send one off and get an opinion on them. They are all missing one wing for that fish and game asks for, but other than that they are pretty well in touch I think. I won't need a ruffed grouse we have plenty of them around to get as well...

Losthackle,

There is a range of size of feathers, and I do have one wing on each, I did save the whole skins, the marabou does look sweet on these too I once hunting season is over I will hit the tying bench hard. What is a rolled wing?

After skinning I pin them to a piece of the board that looks like plastic cardboard craft stores have it. Once stretched and pinned ( I use the pins with the little plastic balls on the end) I sprinkle borax on them. Scrape any excess meat and fat off of the skin before and during the drying process.

Flyunder said exactly what I do. Pin , borax with a little salt, scrape and dry.

I do the same then store in Zip Loc or tupperware laying flat with just a touch of Borax/Salt in there.