Fly Tying
ArkieFlyGuy

Fund raising ideas for fly clubs

Daryn,

The local fly shops (1-2.5 hours away... not close enough.. LOL) all sponsor us very well. They put ads in our newsletter, on our website, and they always donate well to our auctions and raffles. Funny, but five of us were on a Saturday fishing trip a month ago and stopped by one of the sponsor fly shops that had just relocated into a new store. Just before we left, they owner said "wait a minute... you guys got any ladies or kids in your club? Here's a small size jacket that I want to donate to your auction." Not solicited, nothing said about the club, they just knew who we were and thought about that donation.

We get lodging, guide trips, and merchandise from the shops, guides, and lodging folks around the rivers. We also have a retired woodworker in the club that is always making something for the auction. Always a great auction.

This Christmas, we raffled off (oops... I mean gave away... raffles are illegal in Arkansas.... LOL) a hand quilted quilt. The material was printed with photos of club members and others all scenes from fishing the White, Norfork, Spring, and Little Red Rivers in Arkansas. I'll show you pictures of the quilt soon.... I won it.... clapping.gif The lady that quilted it is adding pillow shams with pictures I submitted to her.

That raised a good deal of money for us and was a great prize!!!

Cool, try the larger corporations, it sounds like a good cause. This is an ongoing thing? Ill donate a box of several types of basic flies. need address. Good luck. They need something like that here as well as many other places.

Daryn,

We have an auction in June and one in December. These are our two big fund raisers. Most of the money comes from club members and we want to go outside for some funds. That was the reason for the quilt and it did get us money from outside.

We have a lot of outreach and educational programs in the club. Casting for Recovery, Boy Scouts, local schools, Hooked on a Cure, etc. are all supported to some degree by us.

I'd LOVE to have some flies from guys outside the club to go in our auction. The next one isn't until June, but we take donations anytime.... wink.gif I'm this year's President Elect and that means I'll be Auction Chairman in '07.... But I need to get some practice in early.... help.gif

If you'd like to tie a couple, just send them to:

Terry Beeson

1708 Merrill Cove

Jonesboro, AR 72401

Be sure to indicate they are for the NEAFF auction. Otherwise I might get confused and tie them on the end of my tippet.... j_k.gif

I'll work with the tyers in the club to return the favor. boxing.gif gun_bandana.gif

innocent.gif

Does anybody have any ideas that could be used for school fly fishing clubs. This is our first year for having a fly fishing club(2004-2005). We are one of the few schools in southwestern PA that has a club besides Baldwin and a few others. We take a decent amount of trips and are always looking for extra fly tying materials. As president, i was asked to help figure out possible fundraisers or get any type of materials. For the spring, we are planning a steelhead trip to erie and a trip to Fly Fisher's Paradise out in Bellefont. We are in need of any glo bug yarn or extra materials and need to raise money fast. Anybody have any ideas? Your help would be greatly appreciated!

-bly

Bly,

Did you read through this thread? There are a few ideas there.

For materials, I would solicit any local FFF or TU related clubs and the local fly shops. I bet the fly shops would be glad to kick in some material if they think it will get members into their shops to spend money. Great advertising for them.

As for other ideas, you say you need money "quick", but HOW quickly do you need it? Got enough time for a raffle? What could you raffle?

* Fly box of flies tied by the school club members (I'd take some chances on that one....)

* Gift certificate from a local fly shop (get them to cut you a deal. They might even let you pay after the raffle.)

* Get one of your adult sponsors to give a guided fishing day, casting instructions (from a CCI), or fly tying instructions.

* Something donated by a fly shop or generous member like a rod/reel combo, fishing vest, etc.

* Something outside the fly fishing world if you want to get money from people other than fly fishermen.

* If you have access to a seamstress, the quilt we raffled at Christmas did well. It had pictures of local fly fishing scenes.

It's a little cold for this, but kids here raise good money in warm weather with car washes. They also do "rent-a-kid" programs where you do chores for money. I got my yardwork done summer before last by a "rent-a-kid" and it was cheaper and just as good as the pros. And it was going to a good cause.

Good luck and let us know how you do raising that money!!

If you want to stop the cannibalization of your own folks and get activity from the community at large, raffle or auction some stuff that a lot of folks would like. First, have a big fundraiser night, not a big fly-fishing thing. Let folks know that you are leading some initiatives that will be beneficial to the community at large (kids, ecology...) Again, it's not a fly club meeting. Have good food. Doesn't have to be catered. Buy a keg and serve drinks. You will have both silent and live auctions (big stuff) of things that most folks like. You will need to go out and sell 2 things. 1) tax-deductible (if you folks are 501c3) donations of whatever, meals at restaurants, spa treatments, lawn mowing, oil changes, last years model from the TV store.... 2) Get folks to show up. This involves turning it into a fun party atmosphere. Take a page from the Quail Unlimited guys. Get the crowd wound up and then start the auction. Getting folks to show means a lot of groundwork. Advertise tickets for sale and then basically give comps away to create perceived value. Kinda of a "let me hook you up, buddy" thing. Then, just confim with calls. You'll work harder, but will make 10 times what you would just marketing your club. -Jayhawk Jeff