Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
hcfliesandjigs

CARP RIGS

yep agree with that. A very weary fish 80% of the time and especially if they are coming under fishing pressure.

my current carp rig is a 9'6" 7-weight Orvis Clearwater paired with an Orvis Access V reel spooled with 350 yards of 30-lb gel-spun backing and a (now discontinued) Rio Carp WF7F fly line. For leaders, I use an Orvis Mirage Big Game 9' flourocarbon leader,usually with either a 10 or 12-lb test tippet.

It definitely sounds like a 7wt is the favorite for the rod. Tightening up the drag on them is key to wearing them down and getting the fight out of the fish. I will see what my reel can handle as soon as I get out there and just see what happens. Thanks for the replies fellas if I get it figured out ill let ya guys know. :)

Even on a reel with no drag you have your palm to press against the rim and slow the spool to add or remove pressure.

I have fished some pretty big carp (10-12lbs) on my 5wt with no problem. Its a blast, until you land it and have to touch the nasty sucker, but you can do it on a 5. just going to have to make sure you have plenty of backing and a decent drag.

Aw come on......The drag is not that important. As mentioned above set the drag lightly and use that exposed rim as it was intended, a manual drag. Would it be easier to use a $700 reel with an outstanding drag. You betcha.....I once watched a video where a fella caught a 15 to 20# carp on a 7' 3wt. It did not take him an hour either. Just need a reel large enough to hold a hundred yards of backing for insurance and to make it faster to reel in line when the fish runs at you. One can apply a lot of pressure with a 5wt. Just don't high-stick them. The rod will break. Don't overlook glass rods. They will take a lot more abuse than these black rods. The glass rods also will balance better with large reels. My carp outfit is a 7wt with a Pfleuger Medalist reel but I also use a 5wt with a cheap Bass Pro reel when the wind allows and I can get close enough to the fish. I will say that my Medalist is the 1500 series with the exposed spool rim.

If you want to get a heavier outfit on the cheap get one of the new Eagle Claw feather light glass rods. I think they are 8wt but they are quite slow and would probably throw a 7wt line real well. Then get one of the cheap bass pro or Cabelas reels with an exposed rim. If you don't get a top of the line flyline a hundred bucks and change will put you on the water.

for a reel check out the WLX from cabelas ive had mine for a while now it is a beast :) its handled stripers carps and the occasional log, tree, bush, boat, and rock... -.- anyway seriously, great reels and they are usually on sale and worth every penny i spent on mine. another great reel that i have in the 8wt model is the prestige premier from cabelas great reels the both of em.

http://tinyurl.com/kung8gr