Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SullyTM

Belize Flats Advise

Just my $.02 (which I always seem to have), I grew up fishing freshwater and now am completely obessed with Saltwater. In any case, while working at saltwater casting and through instruction of one of the best (Joe Mahler) I realized a lot of low side arm casting. Generally speaking its to keep your line low and out of the wind. Just something to think about as you practice. Truth be told I really dont have a clue what Im doing lol

Just my $.02 (which I always seem to have), I grew up fishing freshwater and now am completely obessed with Saltwater. In any case, while working at saltwater casting and through instruction of one of the best (Joe Mahler) I realized a lot of low side arm casting. Generally speaking its to keep your line low and out of the wind. Just something to think about as you practice. Truth be told I really dont have a clue what Im doing lol

You may not know, but Joe obviously does. I call the sidearm my Dennis Eckersley cast. Not only does it help beat the wind, it keeps the tourists from coming anywhere near me on a jetty.

I also use a side arm cast sometimes but I am not as accurate side arm as an overhead. Everytime I start having problems hitting my target I find that I have reverted to my ole 3/4 cast which is more comfortable for me.

With all of the pink material I've been using to tie flats flies I'll probably have enough for a tutu!

I received a putting tip for those pesky 2-4 footers. After you've lined up the putt just look at the hole and stroke it(eleminates even the slightest head movement). I've improved greatly at that distances. Now, if I could just get out of the sand.

I've got two months to get ready and I am looking forward to the trip...even the wife is asking about the fishing opportunities.

Later...

Dont message TuTu's around here you will get PJ all excited. This is from last year..PJ made himself a TuTu with his left over material!

SuperStock_1660R-33864.jpg

Ben, you know perfectly well I favor gold tutus after Labor Day. Poor Sully is probably wondering how he's managed to stumble into such a pit of depravity - little does he know that we saltwater types were relatively normal until our frontal lobes fell victim to to excessive amounts of subtropical solar radiation. It happens to the best of us - my guess is that he comes back from Florida wearing a sarong and a fright wig.

post-281-0-09236700-1389915061_thumb.jpg

With all of the pink material I've been using to tie flats flies I'll probably have enough for a tutu!

I received a putting tip for those pesky 2-4 footers. After you've lined up the putt just look at the hole and stroke it(eleminates even the slightest head movement). I've improved greatly at that distances. Now, if I could just get out of the sand.

I've got two months to get ready and I am looking forward to the trip...even the wife is asking about the fishing opportunities.

Later...

SullyTM

Here is some really good advice to help you get out of sand traps.

Open the club face enough at address to balance a long stem wine glass on the face, then just swing with a hard and accelerate thru the hitting area

Hope this helps

Jay

Jay...I tend to de-celerate which is a problem I'm working on. Of course if I'd just hit the green in regulation more that would solve my sand traps woes. LOL

I'llneed a mosquito proof tutu for Belize.

Wind will be your biggest problem by far... hitting a target at 60ft is not that hard with practice. Doing it with a 25+mph crosswind is what makes it tough.

As far as getting line out, try and shoot line on your backcast, especially if it's downwind. When you're casting, make sure your line is downwind from you or it's really easy to catch your rod or yourself with your fly. This often means casting over your left shoulder, which looks goofy, but works.

There's actually a good article in the latest Florida Sportsman on casting in a cross wind. Unfortunately I don't think it is available online, or at least I haven't seen it. Here is a good one on casting into the wind (link)