Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RichK

Aluminum Fly Tying Station?

First thing I noticed ... the price. I must admit, I do like the "fearless flies" bench ... nice versatility and lots of options.

But for that price ... I can build four wooden ones that would be almost as nice.

I didn't get much time today to work on design but I'm thinking something along these lines. Have a few drilled and tapped holes at strategic locations on the base of it that would allow me to add or remove plates which could hold thread, tools, etc. For travel the entire until could be disassembled/assembled in seconds and would transport at just over 1/2" thick.

24"x16" is the overall dimensions, should I go bigger/smaller?

9ovb.jpg

I didn't get much time today to work on design but I'm thinking something along these lines. Have a few drilled and tapped holes at strategic locations on the base of it that would allow me to add or remove plates which could hold thread, tools, etc. For travel the entire until could be disassembled/assembled in seconds and would transport at just over 1/2" thick.

9ovb.jpg

I'll throw in my two cents. Always leave room expansion. If its too small. It will always be too small. Too big now might not be too big a couple of years down the road when you have sixteen tons of stuff and no where to put it . Hint hint.

9ovb.jpg

I'll throw in my two cents. Always leave room expansion. If its too small. It will always be too small. Too big now might not be too big a couple of years down the road when you have sixteen tons of stuff and no where to put it . Hint hint. You can make add-ons like a tool holding station.

I am in the process of testing my proto type it is steel right now but contemplated making it out of aluminum. it is more of a novely/mobile station though.

If the aluminum plate you're making this from is less than 1/4" thick, you are not going to be pleased with these small posts.

You'll also run the possibility of something catching as you pull it up, and pulling the whole platform out.

Make the supports large enough (diameter) to tap, and countersink the underside of the hole in the base, so you can secure these platforms with screws. It'll take a little longer to assemble/disassemble, but it'll be better than the wobbly thin posts.

If the aluminum plate you're making this from is less than 1/4" thick, you are not going to be pleased with these small posts.

attachicon.gif075672983990ee96d21d6f571fee5267.jpg

You'll also run the possibility of something catching as you pull it up, and pulling the whole platform out.

Make the supports large enough (diameter) to tap, and countersink the underside of the hole in the base, so you can secure these platforms with screws. It'll take a little longer to assemble/disassemble, but it'll be better than the wobbly thin posts.

attachicon.gif075672983990ee96d21d6f571fee5267 2.jpg

I was thinking of going with larger posts. The plan is 3/8" aluminum for it so that I can machine in 1/4" deep recesses.