Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
utyer

Bullet Head Poppers:

When I first started fly fishing for bluegill, these were the only poppers I tied. They were quick and easy to make, and they worked well. I have been using them ever since the 1970s, in preference to the hard foam poppers, or trimmed deer hair flies.

Just a deer hair bullet head, its tied in right at the eye, and flared around the hook. After a few tight wraps, I spiral wrap to just over the hook point. Then gather and push the hair back and gather and flare the tips one more time.

Tails can be added, but the basic pattern works just fine. Apply several coats of flexible cement to make them more buoyant and durable.

post-12074-0-64654900-1391448319_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-44467700-1391448328_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-04801200-1391448333_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-55367000-1391448345_thumb.jpg

Sizes for bluegill would be 6, 8, 10. I do tie them on some larger hooks for bass. One thing I like about them is that they float lower in the water, and that seems to help with hookups. The minnows will sink when pulled under, and then slowly drift back to the surface.

I have not used anything but flexible cement, not sure you would get the same results or not. I know it takes several coats to fill in around the hair and seal it off.

Yep, it is a great pattern. There was a guy named Drakes who tied a minnow pattern (I posted a year or so back) and was called Drakes Wounded minnow, where he put a small bead behind the eye then folded over.The pattern fishes head up , tail down (sort like a minnow coming up for air, the death dance if you will.It fishes great

post-4571-0-14944500-1391970417_thumb.jpg

Do you think that Rubber cement would work instead of flexible head cement?

Also, is this body or tail hair?

Thank you,

-J

I dont know about the rubber cement but I use Body hair