Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Peterjay

Phil's Hare-Ball Crab

They do, but swimming crab species also get up there in the water column whenever they feel the urge. Blue crabs and lady crabs are good examples. I often see crabs swimming on the surface while I'm hanging around the docks, waiting for the fleet to come in. I don't know what they're doing, but they're there. (maybe they're waiting for the fleet too) Some of the tarpon guys around here fish live crabs under a float, which keeps the crab suspended and off the bottom. According to Phil Chapman, the hare-ball crab is supposed to emulate that type of situation. I know from past experience that the fly's a slow sinker, but I guess we'll have to take Mr. Chapman's word that the tarpon like it. Or at least until I get my 100-pounder anyway.

I firmly believe that your Colton Torrent will handle your hundred pounder when it sucks down one of those crabs.

You fellers gotta be carefulll with your bragging on Peterjay's tying. His head is so big now it has become a problem for him to get thru a doorway.

Id agree on the 12 wt. Ive been fishing with guides for Tarpon for about 6 years now..It seems as though I use 10wt-14wt depending on where and when.

1345535615437_3146118.png

I'm not gonna deny the fact that I'm having trouble getting through doorways, but contrary to the opinions of certain mean-spirited members here, it has nothing to do with fly tying or a swollen ego. The truth is, that since my wife has been Out West for most of the past month, I've spent most of my energy in an effort to prove my theory that several cheeseburgers, a couple bags of Hostess donuts, 12 cups of coffee, and five pounds of chocolate per day constitute a balanced diet. So far, my study has been yielding inconclusive results, though I'm holding fast to my belief that the pounds I've gained are a direct result of unusually cold weather and unpredictable solar storms, which have been wreaking havoc with the Earth's magnetic field. But just to be on the safe side, I've initiated a vigorous exercise regimen, which consists of keeping the TV remote on a table across the room, thereby forcing me to get out of my comfortable chair to change channels. Hey, no sacrifice is too great when it comes to getting in shape for the upcoming fishing season.

Was posted on a thread about eyes before but these types of hair brush make good eyes. Especially if you can pick them up cheap.

post-42518-0-33979500-1391724572_thumb.jpg

I'm not gonna deny the fact that I'm having trouble getting through doorways, but contrary to the opinions of certain mean-spirited members here, it has nothing to do with fly tying or a swollen ego. The truth is, that since my wife has been Out West for most of the past month, I've spent most of my energy in an effort to prove my theory that several cheeseburgers, a couple bags of Hostess donuts, 12 cups of coffee, and five pounds of chocolate per day constitute a balanced diet. So far, my study has been yielding inconclusive results, though I'm holding fast to my belief that the pounds I've gained are a direct result of unusually cold weather and unpredictable solar storms, which have been wreaking havoc with the Earth's magnetic field. But just to be on the safe side, I've initiated a vigorous exercise regimen, which consists of keeping the TV remote on a table across the room, thereby forcing me to get out of my comfortable chair to change channels. Hey, no sacrifice is too great when it comes to getting in shape for the upcoming fishing season.

= post-27925-0-32812600-1391729025_thumb.jpg

^^^^^^^^

= attachicon.gifsuperman.jpg

Dave you win the internet sir... i dont know how you managed to catch the elusive PJ in his natural habitat but bravo sir bravo... *insert slow clap here*

Haha, I see PJ has been getting into shape. Good to se those P90x tapes are working for you.

As for the floating crabs, they regularly drift in and out with the tide, both on the surface and below it. Down here, we have what they call pass crabs that get flushed out of the inlets and passes on the outgoing tide. One favorite tactic is to dip net them as they flow out, clip the claws, and free line them in the current as you drift the pass. I imagine this is what the fly is targeting

Id agree on the 12 wt. Ive been fishing with guides for Tarpon for about 6 years now..It seems as though I use 10wt-14wt depending on where and when.

1345535615437_3146118.png

Glad to hear that somebody uses a 14wt. I've got a nice fast-sink tip that I'm gonna rig for my 14. I was thinking it might be good for working some of the deep channels. If it ever warms up here, I've gotta get out and throw it a bit so I can cut back the line to my maximum distance. I wouldn't want to throw a 14 for an entire day, but it'll be nice to know there's one aboard if I need it.