Fly Tying
troutinturnie

Icelandic Sheeps Hair

Greetings all,

Icelandic Sheep Hair, anyone use it? Any one a fan?

I was recently at cabelas taking with their fly tier about materials and he recommended this Icelandic sheep hair. I've personally never heard much about it but I got 2 packages anyways - chartreuse and black. I find I'm not a huge fan of it and was thinking its because I'm not using or tying the right patterns?? I don't know but is was wondering what you fellas think of the stuff and any commen, easy patterns I could try.

Kyle

Wash, condition and blow dry it after you have combed it while wet. It needs a good spa treatment to get the fibres untangled. Has lots of uses on streamers, salmon patterns etc. Just not so easy to work with as fox or opossums

It's also called "Streamer Hair." I use it for Clousers, makes a great substitute for bucktail, if you need a substitute. It dyes better, IMO, and is available in a lot of different colors.

Awesome material! I use it for everything, I use it in streamers, clousers, as well as I find myself incorporating it a lot into intruders and tubes, as well as I've used it a couple times as postd for parachutes

I love it as well for baitfish patterns. You can use it in place of buck tail but it is way softer. I like in addition to buck tail on closers rather than in pace of it so the fly keeps it's profile better. When using it, it is usually bet to cut off a clump then even out the tips before tying it in.

The stuff I got wasn't tangly at all. Nor do I even the tips, I like the taper of the natural stuff.

Shampoo-Conditioner should take all the tangles out of it.

It does seem not all IS wool is equal. I've had some that was very fine like Icelandic runner hair. Other has been very thick and matted but the washing and combing sorted it. I'm sure some is ram and some is ewe. A friend orders large fleeces for clothing making and I often receive offcuts.