Fly Tying
Mikeq

First 2 Attempts at deer hair poppers.

Hey everybody

I have spun deer hair once or twice before, but never attempted to actually make some hair poppers. These are on size 6 streamer hooks because I'm really running low on hooks.

I know they aren't packed very tight, and the trimming is terrible, but all crits are welcome!

I only have natural colored deer hair atm. Once I get some more practice I'm gonna invest in a bunch of colors.

Thanks! Mike

post-6826-0-61183200-1395378693_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-66382000-1395378740_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-85955600-1395378781_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-82776000-1395378961_thumb.jpg

I know they aren't packed very tight, and the trimming is terrible, but all crits are welcome!

You're on the right track and you already know what's wrong with them. Just start packing tighter and trimming with more care and you'll be cranking poppers out. The more you spin and trim the easier it is to do.

Your sliders should work just as they are. The tighter you pack them the higher they will float. Especially if you use floatant on them. Poppers will have a large, flat face that will make noise when you give them a good quick twitch. Google Tap's poppers or bugs. It is just a case of semantics. I call them all hair bugs. PI ointed nose are sliders and flat nose are poppers. Then you have mice which are sliders and then there are frogs that can be either poppers or sliders depending on style. Any thing that could be considered fish food can be duplicated with deer hair. ..OH...Don't forget the divers. They are all fun to tie and fish. I think the color is more for the fisherman than for the fish.

On poppers.....If I want a real noisy bug I take my finger and dab a little shoe goo on the face to make it more firm and a better defined flat surface. It dries quick and is water proof. It only takes a real small amount. I t peels off the end of you finger with very little effort.

Yeah, your on the way, BUT, gonna need the right hooks, I use Gamakatsu B10S's when I can otherwise a stinger. Need stout hooks so you can pack it in there . Also been using Partridge Universal Predator X hooks 1/0 thru 4/0, lets see more, attached is one for you to think about

post-4571-0-79845600-1395706788_thumb.jpg

Some additional hooks you can consider, are the Mustad Signature C52SBLN, and the Classic 3366.

For a packing tool, I use a cap from an Orange Juice carton. I simply heat up a nail to push through the center. This "tool" gives you a small hole to slip over the hook eye and a large flat surface to push the hair with. Works well for me.