Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hoyt archery

ALEKA rods, tried them?

The new Fly Tyler magazine has a full page ad for ALEKA rods. I don't have any experience with this brand of rod. I was hoping to hear some reviews.

I'm on the hunt for a new 8wt, but would like to stay under $150 on the rod.

Thanks for the information and insight.

Drew

If your looking for a full package, you could get a hobbs creek one from bass pro, I have one and i like it. I saw the same add and was wondering. I'm looking for a 4 pc 4 weight.

I'm just interested in the rods. That's not something you type very often!

Anyway, I use a TFO Lefty Kreh signature series 6wt for my carp fishing. But I would like a 8wt for a little more fish fighting power. I may stay with the TFO brand of rods, but just researching options.

I picked up some of their rods back in the early 2000s. Wasn't impressed at all, heavy, poor finish and overpriced compared to others like Shakespeare or Greys. They may have altered in the last 14 years but I would not buy one without seeing first.

I would suggest you give Steve a chance. ( steeldrifter )

I've seen lots of Steel drifter rods, and envy their new owners. I would guess his rods on average are far above what I'm looking to spend at this time. Maybe one day I can own 1 of his beautiful creations.

The Aleka rods were just new to me, I hoped a couple more people had tried them.

Actually Hoyt most people are surprised to find out that my rods are no where near what they would expect them to be cost wise. I always try to give FTF members the best deal I possibly can plus I'm just an honest person that does not over inflate my prices like so many of the production rod companies tend to do, so I would say most of my rods usually fall between the $150-$225 range on average.

I never like to make people feel like they have to come to me for a rod if they have other rods in mind, so that's why I have not replied till now. But with that said there's actually a very nice 9ft 8wt 4pc IM7 graphite blank that I know of which could be built up very nicely with better quality hardware than than Aleka uses for pretty close to what your budget is just so you know.