Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joesmax

Salmon Steelhead and rod selection

Hi all,

I will be trying salmon or steelhead fishing soon and I am about to get some gear....what rod size and lenth would you suggest....

thanks

LOADED QUESTION!!!!! LOADED QUESTION!!!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Let us know what region you are going to be fishing as it will dictate the outfit, Thanks.

I would like to jump in on this question too (sorry Joesmax)

How about general answers for different regions?

IE: Pacific, Atlantic, or Great Lakes

My interest would be a rig for Great Lakes area fishing.

Tom

Joe I moved this topic to the coldwater section as you will get more input here.

Like the other guys said a bit more about the location would help but I'll give you my prefernces for the area I fish(great lakes)

For a rod that you can use for both salmon & steelhead then I'd say go with a 9' 6" morerate/fast action 8WT. That will give you enough backbone for the larger salmon yet still have enough "feel" for the steelhead. And the extra length will be good for indi or C&D or normal fly rigs.

SD

For the great lakes region, I use a 9 ft 8wt Trident TLS from orvis. Any rod will work from 6-8 wt. A rod atleast 9 ft long, if not longer. For reels, any large arbor will work, i use Battenkill LA from orvis. If you are going to fish smaller tribs, like racoon in PA, you might want a smaller rod.

thats my 2 cents on gear selection.

screaming reels, bly

Actually, even here in the NW, an all around steelhead/salmon rod is a 9-9'6" 8wt. Little heavy for say pinks/sockeyes and a little light for kings.

In the NW, I usually go this route, but not a definite

7wt for summerruns

8wt for all around and smaller salmon rod

9wt for OlyPen sinktip rod for winterrun steelhead and bigger salmon

10wt when the bigger kings are in the river.

Which, normally I have a big selection of those 4 weights in my arsenal here.

if your going to be doing a lot of steelheading, you should look in to a spey rod someware arround a 12'4" 8wt. it will allow you to cover the water very effectively and let you throw huge flies. if you are going to get a single hander i'd go for a 9' 8wt. an 8 seems the be the best all around line wt. for a salmon/steelhead rod.

I don't know what you are fishing for or where but i will list what i use for each species of salmon and steelhead and good all around rods. All of the rods i use are 8 and a half to 9 feet in length.

Pink salmon-4 or 5 weight, 3 if you are skilled and want to have a blast.

Red salmon- 5 weight

silver salmon- 7,8 or 9 weight.

Chum salmon-8 or 9

King-9 or 10 and an 11 if fishing big rivers like the lower kenai.

Steelhead 7,8 or 9

If you are targeting silvers, reds and pinks. Go with the 7 cuz it will handle a coho and still give the smaller salmon a chance to put up a good fight.

If you are targeting silvers and/or steelhead get an 8

For silvers, chums and small kings (under 40 pounds) bring a 9 weight.

Kings over 40 pounds require a 10 weight with lots of backing!

Go to the Rod Building Fourm and ask them the same question you will be amazed at the answers. You might even get a new rod!

Good lake erie trib rod would be a 10ft 7 weight. I know guys that use 5 weights. I used a 9ft 8wt on the Oak last year for kings and it was fine. My buddy used his 6wt. For a reel, I think this is more important than the rod. Make sure it has a good drag and large arbor. When these fish get hot they can really motor. It all depends on how much you want to spend. My reel is a piece of junk. Im saving my cabellas points for one. I just used them up on the konvertable korkers boots though. If you cant spend the money than learn how to use your fingers as the drag. Thats basically what I am doing. Hope this helped some. Enjoy!!