Fly Tying
artimus

Spey Gear

So after diving into the deep end on all this fly stuff in the past year, ANOTHER facet of the sport has caught my eye. I'm looking into getting into the spey end of things (for GL steel and salmon), and an having a hard time figuring everthing out.

What makes spey rods, lines and reels differnt from regular fly gear? All that I've been able to figure out is that the rods are longer for the most part and have more backbone. Any other info would be great.

Art

Spey rods are used with two hands for one thing Art, one of the biggest things about a spey is that you can roll cast a unbelievable amount of line with them. They are great for larger rivers where you want to cover alot of water. I tried one for one fall and it was a interesting way to fish but I never really caught on to it very well. Theres a few guys on here that use them (steelheader69 and Black Ghost are two that come to mind) so i'll let them give you the details of them rather than I since I just dabbeled in spey casting a bit.

SD

Hi Art, I got into the spey thing about 3 years ago, and took the wrong route or should I say the more expensive one. sad.gif There are a lot of things to consider if your thinking about picking up the spey rod. First of all find yourself a shop that is knowledgable on all things spey and can let you try a few differant set ups. You'll save yourself a lot of money this way. Then make sure you take a lesson or two. The learning curve in spey casting is huge but well worth it and lots of fun. Good luck.

Art,

Check out the two links below. Pretty good information on Spey fishing. I'm looking to get into this as well. I watched Zach Matthews fishing with a Spey about a month ago and was impressed. I'm hoping to get some lessons from him soon.

Spey fishing by Zach Matthews

Check these spey videos

spey casting is a great sect of the sport. basicly what makes spey casting direrent than single hand casting is that with the spey your fly never traves be hind you, instead you set your fly either upstream or downstream of you(known as the anchor). the fly line then forms a "D" between your rod tip and "the anchor", the D loop then creates a load in your rod provding the power in the cast. contrary to common thought spey casting is very easy to learn, with proper instructuin that is.

hope that helps.

jason

Like said above, the best thing I can tell you to do is to find a knowledgable shop and let them lead you through it. When I say knowlegable, find one that has some history knowing speys. Just don't go into any shop and ask "Do you guys know anything about spey fishing?". They'll just see $$$$. Luckily I live in an area where spey fishing is revered. We even have "spey shops" here.

One thing about speyfishing, is you have to put aside what you know in throwing a one hander when using one. The rod does all the work. Why it's best to find someone who knows what they're doing, and have them teach you. Using a book/video is great, but having someone who can critique you is a must.

I use a 14' 9wt for most of my fishing. Need something that can toss heavy sinktips. Had a 15' 10wt I used as well occasionally. Now, I'm without a spey, but looking to rebuy after I'm back to work.

I would suggest first LEARNING to throw a spey. If you find you like it, then invest in one. BUT, do not buy on price. Go to a shop and test a few rods out. One key is to test ON WATER, not on grass. You just don't get the anchor on grass as you will on water. Find out what type of rod best suits you. If you find one that's a little more expensive, watch ebay or the classifieds for one to come up for sale. Too many buy spey outfits before they try them. Find out they hate them, and sell them cheap. So always rods for sale, just have to keep your eyes open.

Like everyone said take first hand lessons. This might help for a good book to read, Spey Casting by Simon Gawesworth stackpole books 2004:hardcover $49.95 www.stackpolebooks.com

Art,

The guys that told you to seek out a shop that is knowledgeable about spey fishing gave you about the best advise you can get on the subject. I use a spey rod for most of my salmon and steelhead fishing and am fairly proficient with it now, but it took me a long time to get there just because I had no one to show me the way.

With that said, would I do it again? Yes, in a heartbeat. Spey fishing is a blast.

Charlie.

P.S. Building one to save some money like OSD said ain't a bad idea either.

Thanks for the info and the links. Now for the big question.....Is there a shop in Ontario that has a qualifed staff on that knows spey casting and such?

Rod building is right aroung the corner, so this would make for a great project. I'm always one to save $$ by doing things with my own two hands. Speaking of which; anyone know where I can get a vert mill and a lathe cheap? I got a hankin' to make some more reels..... cool.gif

Art