Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hellgrammite

2nd hand wheatley, engraved with owner's name =/ wat do?

Just curious what other folks would do; I guess this is the right place, it's fly related!

A while ago, I purchased a couple of Wheatley boxes from the Auction Site. Both were second hand (IE, not sold as brand new) but seem unused; both are the sort with compartments on one side, and clips on the lid. I rather love this type! One has 6 compartments, one has 16. The 6 compartment one is just right to keep a couple of common sizes and types in it, and put in a pocket for a quick trip or a walk on a small stream. I love this little box.

But, the 16 compartment one has an engraved lid; I'm guessing the former owner died, which is sad, because I cant imagine selling it (My camera is dead, grr, I'd post a pic otherwise. It isnt important, you all know what a wheatley box looks like)

It says:

James T. Grey Jr.

In Recognition

Of Distinguished Service

Ernest Schweibert Chapter

Trout Unlimited

3-16-85

The engraving is nicely done, and takes up nearly all of the cover.

What to do? I feel weird, having this box with someone else's name on it; this almost certainly had to be a prized gift. Should I just use it anyway? Put it away? What would you all do?

maybe do a bit of research and try to contact the person, or perhaps you'll find he's gone. I'd probably do at least a bit of searching.

By the way, nice to see you again!!! :)

I'm still around, yes! I'm working, just starting graduate school, and leaves little time for flies!

I did a little google search, but found nothing - sort of hoping someone here may be affiliated with that chapter of TU. Wonder if I could call them and find out if he's still around? I'd want it returned to me if it were mine, and stolen or something.

Your question is appreciated. The answer may be, frame it in a way that's most satisfactory, and go with that. You might ask yourself, how would I advise the new owner of the item were the roles reversed?

Having visited a few estate sales and confronted the sense of feeling something like a vulture, I think I know where you're coming from. Maybe giving items a new lease on life is in some small way a bit of immortality for the prior user. I'd like to think these guys would be pleased someone is using and appreciating their old tools. When I'm fishing with Fred Schneider's Cortland Pro-Crest, I can always roll it over to the engraving on the reel seat and say, "Fred . . . I hope you casted this thing better than I do."

I’m lucky enough to own a few bamboo rods. A couple are fairly old and one has the first owner’s name on it. I researched the owner and learned he was fairly high up in politics during the fifties. That said, when dealing with older rods, I don’t feel I’ll ever actually “own” them. The rods will be around long after I am so realistically I’m actually just a caretaker. Use the box, enjoy it, realize you are handling history and someone else will no doubt use it after you.

Good Luck…………….

James Grey fished the Margaree River in Cape Breton and wrote "Handbook for the Margaree" 2nd ed 1981, 3rd ed 1987.

This was a great guide book to learn the river but the river and pools have changed quite a bit since 1987.

You can find the book on the internet if you search for James Grey and the handbook.

Margaree Salmon museum has a site on the internet and they can tell you a lot more about him. Frances Hart is the curator. She is a wealth of information.

If you get up that way it's worth a stop. Beautiful museum with the history of the river, salmon fishing and all sorts of vintage tackle and flies.

If you are not going to use the box I'm sure they would love to have it as Mr. Grey was a well known fisherman on the river and a big supporter of the museum.

I believe that the proceeds from his books went to the museum.

I found also found the book. I think you have a prized possession and the original owner would want someone to use it on steam or displayed on a bookcase.

I really dont know that it was ever even used; zero scratches or wear anywhere, lid fits quite snug as do all the compartment latches. Now that some more info has come to light, wanted to share the pics.

Here it is:

MLB0mAG.jpg

KJbQQSn.jpg

If it looks UNUSED, it probably was a keepsake that WAS never used. If the owner never used it, my personal opinion is that he would not want it used now. But that is just me. You are the owner now and it is yours to do with what you want.

If you can bear to part with it, you could offer to donate it to the museum to be displayed as donated by you. You could then take a tax write off for what you paid for the box at auction.

If it were me, I would fill that thing up and use it without any thought to what is engraved on it. It's not like it is the fly box of Teddy Roosevelt, or some other famous outdoorsman. But, it is your box, do with it what you will.

My view is use it. Second hand stuff is just that name or no name. Why did you buy? I assume you wanted a nice fly box which you have.