Fly Tying
caswilso

A big hello from VA

Hello fly fishers from all parts of the world!

As you can see, I'm pretty new. I actually just started fly fishing about 2 and a half months ago. I was required to take a PE class for my college curriculum, and I've been hooked ever since signing up for a fly fishing course. I've even made a couple of flies to get started, too. I have a feeling I'm going to be asking a lot of questions, so do apologize in advance!

Glad I found this site!

Thanks, Piker20! I'm sure you'll be seeing my attempts at some flies, too.

These last 3 flies look so bad, I'm almost afraid to show them to people, haha!

Thanks, Piker20! I'm sure you'll be seeing my attempts at some flies, too.

These last 3 flies look so bad, I'm almost afraid to show them to people, haha!

Cas!

Welcome!

My first flies came out OK......I posted a few pictures of them and got some GREAT responses!

POST YOUR PICTURES!!!!

I did and got some GREAT opinions on just how they looked! It really helped me and that is why I am a member here.....aside from the funny banter! :)

A suggestion to you ......... KEEP those first flies you tied! CHERISH them! DON'T be afraid to show them off.....if you don't have an instructor or mentor to help you out there are a TON of folks here that will!

So a question? Do you have a mentor or are you doing this on your own?

Let us know here! WE can help! Granted I am a NEW guy......just at your level, but I have a great bunch of mentors/teachers here in Colorado that are willing and available to help! I have discovered some techniques and tips that make things easier for me and have a HUGE library of stuff that has been passed on!

Again WELCOME!

Cheers,

Mike :)

Hi, Mike!

Haha, I was actually discussing fishing with a couple guys from work the other day (I swear, its a wonder my boss didn't yell at me for talking as long as we did...), but one of the guys was asking if I had used any that I had tied yet. Um, no... I worked too hard on that first one to risk losing it! Sentimental, ya know?

I will definitely be posting some pictures here in the next day or so. I tied a fancy looking foam bug yesterday (and I'm only saying it was fancy because of the sparkly foam), but sadly, I must've clipped my line too close to my knot when I tied it on, because I lost it after a few casts. :(

As for the mentor question. Like I said, I had to take a PE class in order to graduate college and I figured since I was an environmental major, fly fishing would most likely get me outdoors, as opposed to something else, like ballroom dancing. So, the teacher that taught the class (who is also the ballroom dance teacher), I suppose, you could say is my mentor. I've been emailing and sending him pictures like a mad woman. He's probably going to regret letting me in the class... He's only given me a few suggestions on some flies I could tie with the meager supplies I have at the moment. Other than that, I've been freestyling, more or less. That's actually why I said, the first few flies I tied looked pretty bad. I didn't have a recipe, just making it up as I go.

Thanks, again, Mike! Nice to "meet" you!

Great to meet you as well Caswilso!

Making things up as you go is fun! However, you might want to look at things anglers are tossing in your area and on the streams/lakes you are fishing. Once you know what the folks are catching fish on you can then go to the internet and see videos of folks actually tying those flys!

Keep at it and again welcome!

Mike :)

Welcome to the forum! This is the place to bring your questions and photos of your flies. There is a wealth of collective knowledge in this community, so don't be shy. Questions are always welcome and asking them is the only way to get better.

I will second what COMike said about keeping your first flies, too. Not only will they become objects of nostalgia down the line, they will also show you, by comparison, how much you're improving as you continue to tie. All of our first efforts looked rough, believe me. I remember showing one of my first-ever flies to a coworker. She gave it a puzzled look and then asked, "Why are you showing me lint?" :)

Glad to have you here.

Cheers,

Bryon

Caswilso, sorry that I didn't notice this sooner. I am a fellow Virginian so if there is anything that I can help with just let me know. There are a bunch of great people and a endless supply of knowledge on this forum and don't hesitate to ask anything.

Take Care,

Tony

I'm truly awful for neglecting to check back on this, so sorry! Thanks everyone for the welcome!

Bryon, you could've just told her you made your dubbing from dryer lint and that you were being resourceful anddd saving the house from a potential fire. :)

Tony- oh, cool! What part of God's Country are you from?

Cas

If you will click on the "follow this topic" box at the top of this page (right side), you will get an email whenever anyone posts on it.

:-D