Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
adrian191

18's and 20's

Whatever happened to doing a little investigation by turning over the rocks in the stream you are fishing and discovering what lives there? You may be surprised!

Is the midge always the automatic magic answer?

Aren't there any fly shops near the Kent Lockwood gorge?

Google fly patterns by tyres Aaron Jaspar and Matt Grobert

yea there is a shop and ive tied some of matt groberts patterns. but i was wondering what i can tie that small that produces fish. the smallest i tied was 16.

I left for someplace less populated.

Can "less populated" and "new jersey" be used in the same story?

I left for someplace less populated.

Can "less populated" and "new jersey" be used in the same story?

It is a relative term. Let me clarify, no fisherman, but some dog walkers.

I do get jealous when I go places, and see exactly how much public space with tons of elbow room exist. But.... I grew up and have family in NJ, and would not want to raise kids away from family. Something very grounding about having my parents, mother in law, sisters, and nieces and nephews all within a 20 minute drive.

Whatever happened to doing a little investigation by turning over the rocks in the stream you are fishing and discovering what lives there? You may be surprised!

Is the midge always the automatic magic answer?

Aren't there any fly shops near the Kent Lockwood gorge?

Google fly patterns by tyres Aaron Jaspar and Matt Grobert

Midges are always the answer!!

I tend to agree with two_nymph_rig, at least when fishing are rising and you can't see what they're rising to. It depends on location. The area where I live in the SE corner of PA is not noted for it's abundant mayfly hatches. Some streams have them, some don't but one thing they all seem to have are midges and caddis. So the bulk of the flies in my trout boxes are midges and caddis with some generic patterns to match what mayfly hatches I may stumble onto. This applies to most of the rivers I've fished in the Northeast and southern Ontario. If I time it right and hit a mayfly hatch great, but I've never been noted for my timing.

JSzymczyk

I highly recommend a night ride on the dirt roads through the South Jersey Pine Barrens.

I tend to agree with two_nymph_rig, at least when fishing are rising and you can't see what they're rising to. It depends on location. The area where I live in the SE corner of PA is not noted for it's abundant mayfly hatches. Some streams have them, some don't but one thing they all seem to have are midges and caddis. So the bulk of the flies in my trout boxes are midges and caddis with some generic patterns to match what mayfly hatches I may stumble onto. This applies to most of the rivers I've fished in the Northeast and southern Ontario. If I time it right and hit a mayfly hatch great, but I've never been noted for my timing.

JSzymczyk

I highly recommend a night ride on the dirt roads through the South Jersey Pine Barrens.

Interesting, apart from the Grand and maybe the 'Geen up here I would almost always say the mayflies outnumber the caddis. I can't speak for the far west rivers though.