Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
outdoorsmanfool

Head cement.

Hi everyone, after i get done using my head cement it turns white after drying, it has never been left open or anything and it is about a year old. is there a way of fixing it with something around the house? or do i need to get something from a special store or get a new bottle?

Thanks, nick.

I agree. Sally Hansens is cheap, and works fine, and they sell it everywhere. Do save your other stuff though... you can't tell when you might actually want a white head.

When in doubt, leave it out.

Wax the tying thread and tie a good whip finish knot and its not even needed

alright, thanks for the tips haha. but i am in doubt kinda cause i am making them for a brothers friend and he wanted to buy some so i am kinda being picky on every fly i make so i am not sure what to make now? i need to make 10 flies total bass and bluegill flies..... any options?

I've never had a problem with Sally Hansen's. I normally use clear, but you can get it in black and different colors. I also apply it by putting a drop of appropriate size on a toothpick instead of trying to brush it on. Never kept track of how long it lasts before degrading, but have had a bottle on the desk for several months at a time.