Sign in to follow this  
Fisherboy0301

Some recent ties

Some flies I tied recently.

A little brown dryfly.

12996F72-8098-458D-8E0D-F0F20A95B492_zps

Another dryfly.

A433B196-2D40-4D9D-97D9-AF7C340D41D3_zps

A large size 12midge I was hoping to use during the blind mosqito ''hatch" in Florida, a week too late I was told.

63A293AD-6C22-408F-A60D-3C67ED1A5D7C_zps

A little bream fly.

21B15D91-0247-4F4F-9E4C-2E39B3043A74_zps

A froggy fly for bass, I know it has two extra legs, but they wiggle and induce strikes!

479F5210-F366-4731-9DC2-1878B417BFB8_zps

Now a clouser minnow, beadchain style.

5783AE26-5D68-4813-AB6A-7094FD00F56B_zps

And a marabou streamer to match the minnows in a local pond.

8CB175CE-B42D-44F7-8CE3-4C90E9EC4BFF_zps

An all hackle streamer.

69217493-30FA-4E6B-8AD7-53EFFA105818_zps

And a woolly bugger I'm calling the BBBB (Bronc's Big Bright Bugger) it works great for bass and panfish in stained water.

657E6F7A-8ACB-4948-913A-AE6FCFCA623E_zps

Al Campbell's crappie candy.

FD2F60EE-19A0-40FD-A78D-55359B401E8E_zps

Man other bugger, and a bugger-ish carpy thing.

787427A9-5C99-4BAE-8CF6-8FA5A8A79CFD_zps

482F8954-8598-4967-8636-0F8DBA9D254B_zps

Some soft hackles and carp flys.

202A50A6-01CD-4B35-8F98-A320375A244E_zps

24C45079-9135-4233-928A-7436F5305970_zps

09E00C82-CE47-4753-9917-2FE0876043AF_zps

3BD040DF-AD6C-4A2E-987D-E9EFB1F5BF42_zps

And some nymphs. The plastic bead on the pheasant tail makes it hang just below the surface like it's going up to emerge.

EC356E92-9660-4CAC-9376-A3BE8C582572_zps

89E77354-992D-423B-810E-55E074F5A455_zps

A caterpillar.

2FF7438D-AA47-4E66-9014-6B4AE8698D74_zps

And some worms plus my go at a crappie tube bait.

CAD1AD59-8F71-404D-8301-CDB0C0C496A7_zps

93B86CD4-F7A6-4237-9DC7-B85509316D6C_zps

A4D896DC-DEBA-4F3E-9185-591977D070A6_zps

Feedback and critique wanted, thanks.

I hope those pictures worked.

Fishable flies, all of them. There might be a midge hatch (blind mosquito) that's heavy, but they are here all the time. I don't think there's ever a night when there aren't some coming out. Bump any pier or reed patch and you'll be blowing out your nose trying to keep them out.

Nice batch of fish food, Fisherboy.

Yeah the worst part is having to shovel up the dead ones around any outdoor light. Thanks Mike.

Those look like great flies. I'm never that creative in my tying and tend to stick to established patterns. Might need to branch out one of these days.

NICE LOOKING flies indeed!!!! I like all of them!

Thanks, me too! Hopefully gonna get to try them out tomorrow, especially the carp flys.

Fisherboy....

I could only wish to have tied flies like you do when I was your age !

Carry on.

Overall your flies show good skills, and a creative mind. There are some things you can work on.

It looks like your using a very heavy (possibly sewing,) thread on a lot of the flies. While poly or nylon sewing thread, can be used, it is very easy to build up a lot of unwanted bulk in smaller patterns.

The hackle is a bit too long on your brown may fly. The hackle on the second one is better, but the wings are shorter than the shank, so they could be longer.

The PT could loose the bead. Try a foam wing case to keep the nymph floating just in the surface. Use a 1.16th thick foam.

Soft hackles usually have a lot less hackle, and are usually tied without beads. The Clouser would look better with different color thread, and the wing (top color of deer hair,) is not tied down behind the eyes. Try to use a thread that will match the hair colors better. Better still use mono filament as the thread, then it will blend into any color pattern.

Keep thinking outside the box, that's a good thing. Just refine, and reduce the amount of material and thread you use. Singe the ends of your Ultra Chenille bodies so they don't come apart.

Overall your flies show good skills, and a creative mind. There are some things you can work on.

It looks like your using a very heavy (possibly sewing,) thread on a lot of the flies. While poly or nylon sewing thread, can be used, it is very easy to build up a lot of unwanted bulk in smaller patterns.

The hackle is a bit too long on your brown may fly. The hackle on the second one is better, but the wings are shorter than the shank, so they could be longer.

The PT could loose the bead. Try a foam wing case to keep the nymph floating just in the surface. Use a 1.16th thick foam.

Soft hackles usually have a lot less hackle, and are usually tied without beads. The Clouser would look better with different color thread, and the wing (top color of deer hair,) is not tied down behind the eyes. Try to use a thread that will match the hair colors better. Better still use mono filament as the thread, then it will blend into any color pattern.

Keep thinking outside the box, that's a good thing. Just refine, and reduce the amount of material and thread you use. Singe the ends of your Ultra Chenille bodies so they don't come apart.

utyer,

You said, "Singe the ends of the Ultra Chenille so to the bodies will not come a part." The reason I am asking is because I would like to tie some Bitch Creek flies and those call for Ultra Chenille. I watch a fellow tie some at an Expo but he did not singe the ends. I assume you just singe them long enough to stop them from unraveling?

NICE LOOKING flies indeed!!!! I like all of them!

Thanks, me too! Hopefully gonna get to try them out tomorrow, especially the carp flys.

You will have to post some pics of your catch!!!

Thank you, yes I am using sewing thread, since I'm tying for bluegills, not trout, the bead in the PT adds a hot spot that they focus on. Thanks for the pointers on the clouser and soft hackles. The ends on the chenile aren't burned because I don't have a lighter. :( I'm 14, and don't smoked, so no lighter. Thanks for the advise! :)