Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

Jack-of-all-Trades Swap

Excellent Joseph - I will keep an eye out. Thanks for participating!

Okay folks, only one set of flies still outstanding - I have PM'd the participant for status and am still waiting to hear back. If I don't hear back by Monday I will go ahead and mail out the flies that I have. If the last set comes in late I will mail them separately.

This is a great set of flies and I think everyone will be very pleased with the set they receive. Thanks everyone for your hard work!

Okay guys - all flies are in. Thanks to everyone who participated for a great set of flies and for getting them in on time! Your flies will be mailed this afternoon and should reach you in a few days.

One mistake on my part that I need to report - apparently I put Pondstalker down as being in the swap when he'd never actually given me an official "I'm in". I apologize for this oversight on my part. So you'll each be receiving back 6 flies as there were 7 swappers total. If it's okay with everyone, I thought I would just donate the extras to a worthy cause, maybe Project Healing Waters? If anyone has other ideas I'm happy to hear your suggestions.

Thanks again for participating.

Bryon

Got my flies today...very nice set excited to fish them. Bryon the extra fly was yours sorry it didn't end up in your box.

Muskyhunter - several swappers in addition to you included extras in addition to their swap flies. Those extras I am very grateful for and will most assuredly go into my box! :) The extras I was referring to when I suggested donating them were the flies tied for the regular swap that ended up being extras because we ended up having one less tier in the swap than I originally thought we did. The "extra extras" if you will. :)

Got my flies today. Very nice. For mine I think everyone is familiar with the Stimulator pattern but some may not tie the Crackleback. You should since it does catch fish almost anywhere and can be done in several colors.

Thread base, hackle tail (some don't bother), tie in dry fly hackle, tie in 2-4 herls depending on hook size, tie in floss of choice (or can be dubbed). Wind thread to eye and leave that little bit of clearance. Wrap floss and tie off, pull hackle right over middle of top of floss and tie off, Wind hackle palmered about 5-6 wraps to eye. You don't want to wind hackle too close together since the idea is the herl to show thru as with the floss. A good floater and popular on a lot of waters.

Got my flies today. Very nice. For mine I think everyone is familiar with the Stimulator pattern but some may not tie the Crackleback. You should since it does catch fish almost anywhere and can be done in several colors.

I know that Ed Story was forever singing the praises of his Crackleback (I believe it was his pattern) in the FeatherCraft catalog when he was alive. It was actually that fly and his descriptions of all it could do that helped inpire the idea for this swap. I will surely be trying mine out soon. :)

Bryon, I have another Hornberg from an earlier swap. Just kind of wondering how you normally fish the Hornberg. I've read it can be fish wet or dry but just somehow doesn't seem like a dry fly to me. Do you grease your up and float it or normally use it as a streamer or just swing it in the current?

Bryon, I have another Hornberg from an earlier swap. Just kind of wondering how you normally fish the Hornberg. I've read it can be fish wet or dry but just somehow doesn't seem like a dry fly to me. Do you grease your up and float it or normally use it as a streamer or just swing it in the current?

I've actually never fished one of those flies. I just always thought they were kind of pretty, and, like you, I had heard that they could be fished as a wet, dry or streamer--true "Jacks of all Trades." :) I've wondered about fishing it dry myself -- it looks like, with nothing but the lower edge of the feather wing for support behind the hackle, it would be very "tippy' and tend to fall on its side a lot. I think I will probably fish it as a streamer myself.