Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

FTF Fly Pattern - Bryon Anderson - Fly Rod Spinnerbait

Sorry ... I have to laugh. That's one funny looking fly. If it works as advertised, it might catch some bass. But I'd think the mono will flex too much and the prop will just end up in the hook.

Have you already fished this? Did it work? I am very interested to know. It looks more like fish food than a real spinner bait, so I am sure you'll get hits, but I am really keen to know if that blade spins or not.

It is pretty funny looking, isn't it? It's a variation on a pattern I found in a book called Hot Bass Flies by Deke Meyer. In answer to your questions, yes I have fished it, and the prop does spin, although you're right about the mono flexing. I think I can solve that problem by using heavier mono, or maybe wire--wire would be a closer approximation of a traditional spinnerbait, I guess.

Here's another take on the same idea (much better executed, I have to say), from the pattern database: http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern8279.html

CA BAM!!! Fish on Jack.. Don't it make you just feel awesome inside when you catch a fish on your own creation.