Fly Tying
vicrider

"Tie your favorite" swap

Vicrider, I was at work on my lunch break when I saw this. I am surprised at myself for figuring out how to log in and reply because all of these electronic gadgets still confuse me a bit. I don't plan on being like everyone else there with a screen stuck in front of me most of the time but I am glad that I looked today because I would have missed this swap. Well, that's enough rambling...I have a lot of "favorite" flies and it has been hard to narrow it down. For streamers I guess my favorites would have to be either a woolly bugger or a Mickey Finn. For nymphs I would have to go with a pheasant tail without any thinking about it at all. For the dry category it is a hard decision because I really like a lot of them, especially the Catskill flies, but for actually catching trout in waters where I fish I am going to have to go with a parachute caddis. I have probably caught more trout on them than all of the other patterns combined. So, I will tie up a dozen or so of my version of the parachute caddis and get them headed west as soon as possible.

Thanks for having me in another swap

Take Care,

Tony

Ya' know Tony, it's kind of funny but for the last 20 years of my working life (retired 3 years ago) I spent 10 hours a day, 4 days a week on the computer doing CADD work on highways and lighting systems for the State of MN. All those years of making my living on the computer and I don't know a thing about them. Well, that's not completely true but as far as anything goes beyond the surface systems I call for help. I ran a couple of very expensive and extensive systems for the state for road design and every aspect of highway management but when anything besides the systems I was very good at broke down I called for help. That's why those nerds got the big bucks so I let them fix it so I could get back to my work.

Looking forward to this swap like I do every one of them. They're all fun and the quality never fails to amaze me when we get the package in. Been out working on the boat and motor and getting ready to do some serious fall fishing as the temps begin to moderate. Have trip to White River in AR planned so I'm sorting specific trout boxes for that and lining up my panfish, bass and hybrid striper boxes for the local reservoirs.

JOE RUSSEL

please take my place. there are some swap flies that i'll never use and maybe you can

i'll get in on the next one, maybe more trout specific

norm

JOE RUSSEL

please take my place. there are some swap flies that i'll never use and maybe you can

i'll get in on the next one, maybe more trout specific

norm

Will do Norm thanks M8

Joe Russell...You're in...You're out...You're in...yes you're in. Glad to have you. Hate to lose anyone but I've done the same thing before myself. Ask Netabrookie.

I cut out the bodies for the stealth bomber last night. It will be a size 6 tied on a B10s Gama in black, full pimp. This is a fly designed by Kent Edmonds and Jason Stacy. I have never met Kent but fished with Jason this spring. He is a guide/owner of shallow water expeditions you can see his group at www.shallowwaterexpeditions.com This fly was originally designed to be subsurface and fished on a short leader using sinking line. It didn't work out that way. It is to be fished on top with a short leader with stiff tippet and to be retrieve in short swift strips. It does well with a dropper. It is excellent on lmb, smb, and bream. It is also an excellent saltwater fly. I use it a lot.

flytire, you almost gave me a heart attack. I was going over things and making sure I'd updated any flies and saw your beautiful Caddis and looked at list and you weren't in there. I was going to send you a PM and tell you I'd send you my flies to make sure you didn't get gypped, then finally realized you'd given your spot to Joe. Talk about PHEWWWW.

Kudu, I've been looking at the website you posted and man I'd like to go fish with those guys. I have never fished saltwater and really have no desire to do any of the so called deep sea fishing but what I've always dreamed of doing is spending time fishing the canals and near shore water with light tackle and fly rods. The fish I'd most to fish for are snook, small tarpon (5-20#s), and redfish. Getting into some of the bigger peacock bass and tilapia and some bass and big 'gills wouldn't hurt in brackish water. Those prices aren't really out of reach but darn it's just so far away from western OK.

flytire, you almost gave me a heart attack. I was going over things and making sure I'd updated any flies and saw your beautiful Caddis and looked at list and you weren't in there. I was going to send you a PM and tell you I'd send you my flies to make sure you didn't get gypped, then finally realized you'd given your spot to Joe. Talk about PHEWWWW.

Kudu, I've been looking at the website you posted and man I'd like to go fish with those guys. I have never fished saltwater and really have no desire to do any of the so called deep sea fishing but what I've always dreamed of doing is spending time fishing the canals and near shore water with light tackle and fly rods. The fish I'd most to fish for are snook, small tarpon (5-20#s), and redfish. Getting into some of the bigger peacock bass and tilapia and some bass and big 'gills wouldn't hurt in brackish water. Those prices aren't really out of reach but darn it's just so far away from western OK.

If you make that trip then you better stop over here in east Ga!!! I'll set ya up on some Ga giants, as we call the gills round here! ;)

Fisherboys flies arrived today for this swap and the other one I'm running. Good thinking to combine 'em up and save a couple of postages. When you're still in school you need to watch those things a little more closely than some of us do. Very nice efforts and a few extras, thank you. My kid is out right now trying to get my motor running right on my boat so I can begin to get back into fishing 'gills on the local ponds again.

Everything has sat too long in the dusty environment we live in and sure doesn't help things. Plus the last time it was used a couple of years ago I doubt the guys I loaned it to ran out the gas like I would have. Kid will probably have to pull carb and clean since he said it would open up or idle but nothing in between. He's trying SeaFoam now and that has helped some bikes I've had. Maybe the outboard will clean up with it.