Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jayvansickle

What Renzetti Vice

I have a Renzetti vise and I would like to know model it is. It has to be at least ten years old. It is not a cam lock. I thought maybe if I knew what model it is I could upgrade to cam lock jaws. The only thing I found was an engraving that says Renzetti. Anybody out there that can help? It looks just like all the other vises they make. Is there another place on the the vise that maybe has a model name?

can you post a picture?

which vise on renzettis website does it look closest too?

that's probably the model you have but only an older version of it

Ten years ago, I believe, there were only 3 models to chose from (with some variations in accessories), the Traveler, the Presentation 4000 and the Master. If you will check Renzetti's WEB site, you will find the current versions of each of these, as well as a few newer models. Anyway, the current versions of those 3 vises are not radically different from the older versions, and you should be able to easily recognize which one you have.

I think you left this one out

The Renzetti Presentation 3000 is the first True Rotary vise designed in the early 70’s by Andy Renzetti

Is the vise shaft aluminum? Then is should be a Traveler.

A cam lock upgrade is expensive. Here are the costs of replacement jaws:

http://www.renzetti.com/index.php/accessories/vise-jaws

There was an article in Fly Fisherman Magazine by Bob Brown on how to modify the vise so it acted like a cam lock. "Customize your Renzetti for $1, by Bob Brown " It used to be on line but no longer is.

Pm me with your email and I will send the article to you as a pdf. Here is a photo of the modification. The lever arm operates the screw so it is similar to the lever on a cam lock.

Renszettiscrewlockupgrade_zps1e7f32fb.pn

I have the Renzetti Traveler and I've gotten so used to the thumb screw that for small flies I prefer it to either model of cam lock vises I use for larger flies. My traveler is also quite old and small enough I love it for flies from 16 and smaller. Don't like tying Hog Snare on it but have a Mongoose for that.