Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
adrian191

Great Lake Eggs?

I think Alaska changed their regulations so a pegged egg would be legal. Wyoming is like several states that allow pegged beads as long as they are no more than 2" above the hook.

Only in some waters, and they did shorten the distance from egg to hook as well. However, they are still illegal on the Russian, and some other rivers I assume, because they do not qualify as a "fly" by law.

Regardless, if you peg beads you are going to catch more fish in the side of the head or outside the mouth than any other method. If this is legal and doesn't bother you, so be it. I typically use a melted bead as a compromise. Put the plastic beads on a bodkin, put hook in vise, heat hook with lighter till hot, then press bead onto hook and let cool. Paint with favorite off white/flesh colored finger nail polish and fish.

Another pattern you should google is the "Sucker Spawn". Vicrider discusses how they are tied, and they are a very quick and easy tie. There's a variant called the "Krystal Meth" that you might want to look for as well. Best of luck.

I live in Indiana and I have to travel a distance to fish for wild trout. In a game preserve near me there is a 6 acre pond that the DNR releases trout in. Everybody fishes with corn (and a fair amount corn chumming). I tied a small egg on a #12 hook with some lead raps with a yarn colored just like the corn. Nobody was catching anything. I caught my limit plus my friends limit. When we got done everybody wanted to know what I was fishing with. I add I was the only guy using a fly rod. Best egg I ever tied.

You caught your limit plus your friend's limit?

If your going to drift eggs use Beads, http://www.troutbeads.com/ . Best bead size is 8mm.

If your going to swing eggs use eggs tied with Glo Bug Yarn, rag style, http://www.hawkinsflyfishing.com/clownegg.php .

If your going to bottom bounce go with either one.

Best color is a pale yellow/cream color, color of a day or two old egg. Alternate that with a orange egg or red. I like to use a clown rag egg when swinging flies. I use cherise, orange, red and Chartruese. If you can use 2 hooks run with a different sizes and colors till you can fiqure out what works best that day/place.

I have used blue, chartruse, oranges, cream, dirty grey, glow in the dark colors and sizes from 1/4 to 1/2. Larger bright eggs in dirty water, smaller cream colored in clearer water.

Don't use pegged beads as eggs in Wisconsin. Reading the regulations, it seems to me that any method that hooks fish outside the mouth would be illegal.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/documents/regulations/FishingRegs12-13_web.pdf

The regulations state

"page 8: It is illegal -

• to fish by snagging, foul-hooking, or attempting to hook fish other than in the mouth.
  • to keep foul-hooked, snagged or any fish not hooked in the mouth "

Other states have similar regulations so check with your DNR

http://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2013/10/17/public-input-wanted-on-illegal-fishing-method/

I think Alaska changed their regulations so a pegged egg would be legal. Wyoming is like several states that allow pegged beads as long as they are no more than 2" above the hook.

I have used beads IN Wisconsin for years, as well as others.

when you use beads you are hooking the fish in the mouth, contrary to what some may think.

There are some "purists" for lack of better term that look down at beads for whatever reason. If anyone doesn't want to use beads thats fine with me. Alaska has been OK with beads for years.

They are an effective way to fly fish for Trout/salmon. nothing more to them than that.

how many sh**storms of controversy have already happened with the discussion of pegged beads?

The controversy lies in where the bead is placed. A bead pegged 3" above the hook itself is going to hook more fish outside the mouth. A bead right at the hook is not. A bead on the hook is not going to hook outside the mouth. A free sliding bead usually stays at the hook and does not snag fish. whatfly has an interesting concept that I might just have to explore. Never seen that before but have seen "fringe beads" used in bird's nest nymphs and others and may have to order some of those sometime since it represents the bubble used by emergers to rise to surface. All interesting concepts but I personally have never seen the reason to peg a bead above the hook since it such an obvious system of hooking outside the mouth.

I have never fished an egg in my life but a while back I saw a video on tying an egg that was somewhat transparent with an orange or red center. As I remember the tyer used a orange thread and covered the hook. He then slid some yellow yarn over the hook shank like a tube and tied it down. He then pulled the tube of yarn back over the shank towards the front and sort of expanded the diameter of the tube and then tied the tube down at the front to create a simi-transparent ball or egg. It looked really good. I wished I had book marked the video. It was really a simple tie. Or at least it looked like it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD4F0oHjV94&list=UUIdIkp_uBiYEw-Pb4-BDBjw

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeofO3MGNtc&list=UUIdIkp_uBiYEw-Pb4-BDBjw

this????

My favorite egg is the Bead Head Lifter, which is basically like a Gorman egg, except uses estatz or cactus chenille for the body.

Yes Adrian that must be it. My memory of the tying steps sure was not very close to the reality though. I am surprised that you even recognized. Thanks for posting. It is now bookmarked. I will try to get some of that yarn and tie up a couple....I would like to try it on carp.

Yes Adrian that must be it. My memory of the tying steps sure was not very close to the reality though. I am surprised that you even recognized. Thanks for posting. It is now bookmarked. I will try to get some of that yarn and tie up a couple....I would like to try it on carp.

I recongnized it because one of my local shops that is an hour away produce thses videos. Shannon's Fly Shop.

Adrian, that is a great video and has given me a slightly different tie to use on eggs. If you looked at my first post the egg I described looks almost exactly like the one in the vid but I've used a colored bead under the yarn or similar material. Mine look almost exactly like that but I leave a couple of little strands of yarn out back to represent a bleeding egg. The thing about that egg is it looks so slimey in water it takes on a life of it's own. Thanx for video post.

Adrian, that is a great video and has given me a slightly different tie to use on eggs. If you looked at my first post the egg I described looks almost exactly like the one in the vid but I've used a colored bead under the yarn or similar material. Mine look almost exactly like that but I leave a couple of little strands of yarn out back to represent a bleeding egg. The thing about that egg is it looks so slimey in water it takes on a life of it's own. Thanx for video post.

i can't find it.Help me