Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cheech

The Ultimate Hackle Throwdown

I must admit to being surprised by metz. I like seeing the comment in the summary that its not about buying to tie 10000 flies (unless you want to) but try to buy economical variety. The 1/4 and 1/2 capes are good ways to do that.

Very nice analysis on something that is important for everyone that is tying!

The average length picture is something people should look at and is something I'm very pleased with when it comes to the whiting bronze grade I have.

Great work!

Very nice article. I have a few different skins with dry fly feathers and I have found from my own (far less scientific) observations that my best and favorite are the 5 whiting 1/2 capes I bought from feather emporium last winter. I have tied more than enough flies on each to justify the $25 I spent on each.

Sorry for replying to such an old thread, but I'd love to see this article and when I click the link, it simply takes me to Fly-Fish-Food's website and I can't find a list of articles on the blog or elsewhere.  Does anyone have a clean link that will take me directly to the Ultimate Hackle Throwdown article?  Thanks in advance if anyone can direct me to it.

Sweet, thanks niveker.  I've been researching Collins Hackle (just purchased 3 graded capes/saddles, plus his commercial grade grab bag) and I've seen people reference this article, but couldn't find it myself.   Thanks again.

Yeah, I'll get around to it.  I consider myself a beginner, though I actually started tying 40+ years ago and occasionally pull out my gear for a special purpose (trip to Alaska for salmon, etc.).  I've never really tied many/any dries though and that's the goal here.  I'm upping my game and getting some better materials, so I SHOULD be able to produce some acceptable flies.  I'm about to head to Colorado for a week of fly fishing, but when I return, I have to put together an assorted fly box for an upcoming fundraiser (my Ruffed Grouse Society chapter sponsors an upland bird hunt in the fall and a friend is donating a bamboo rod and I'm adding some flies for the fundraising auction).

On 7/13/2023 at 10:44 AM, GANGGREEN said:

Yeah, I'll get around to it.  I consider myself a beginner, though I actually started tying 40+ years ago and occasionally pull out my gear for a special purpose (trip to Alaska for salmon, etc.).  I've never really tied many/any dries though and that's the goal here.  I'm upping my game and getting some better materials, so I SHOULD be able to produce some acceptable flies.  I'm about to head to Colorado for a week of fly fishing, but when I return, I have to put together an assorted fly box for an upcoming fundraiser (my Ruffed Grouse Society chapter sponsors an upland bird hunt in the fall and a friend is donating a bamboo rod and I'm adding some flies for the fundraising auction).

Where in CO and when?

On 7/13/2023 at 11:45 AM, GANGGREEN said:

Does anyone have a clean link that will take me directly to the Ultimate Hackle Throwdown article?  Thanks in advance if anyone can direct me to it.

the wayback machine found the article

Fly Fish Food -- Fly Tying and Fly Fishing : The Ultimate Hackle Throwdown (archive.org)