Fly Tying
breambuster

October 2014 Swap Club

OK, guys, just to let you know where we are with the October set. There are 2 sets still out, but both sets are in the mail and I have tracking numbers for both sets. They should be here in a few days; probably by the middle of next week. I will do my best to get them sorted out and back into the mail to you as quickly as I can when the 2 sets arrive. I just wanted everyone to know where we are in the process.

Take care

BB

BB, something came up once before on a thread and swap best forgot about. Someone who had never done a swap commented about "how hard can it be to stick a few flies in boxes and send them back?". As someone who has done several and now has a better way worked out I can tell you what you already know. It is never so simple. Dealing with close to 150 flies, making sure the sorting gets everyone the right flies and neither shorting anyone or sending anyone there own back, and then making sure right boxes go to right envelopes for mailing is not just a quick turnaround. Add to that a lot of people don't mark their containers (I do now on theirs to simplify for myself), and there's always a few with money for return postage or overseas paperwork to deal with and I for one have learned to appreciate what the swapmeisters go thru to keep everything straight, and we usually do a pretty good job.

So knowing you've been busy just do them as you're able and hope we all appreciate the work done by you (and I) and others who handle the swaps, and you do it monthly and an extra every now and then.

And for anyone in the Santa Swap reading this...Don't mark you container for that one. I'll do it after pictures.

We received a VERY nice set of streamers from Border Collies today. Extra nice word, Border Collies. Thanks much! OK, there is still 1 set out & it's in the mail. Should be here soon.

And Vic, thanks for the nice post from someone who's been there and KNOWS what they are talking about. I am fortunate in that I have access to a large room with several large tables where I can lay everything out. I put the fly box to the front of the table and both mailing envelopes behind each box. That way I can double-check names if I need to. I usually write the Username (like "Vicrider") on the envelope that was mailed to me just to keep everything straight. I also lay them out in the order that the Usernames appear in the first post of the thread. Of course, all of that takes time, but it can save an awful lot of confusion when the old noggin gets dull. Then to the right of the fly box, I begin making a line of flies emptying each box at a time and placing 1 fly beside all the other fly boxes until they are all sorted. That way I can look back and make sure that everyone has the flies they are supposed to receive. I also always count to make sure that everyone has the same number of flies. If you watched me doing this, you would swear that I am OCD, and something I almost convince myself! And as you say, there is the international paperwork to deal with, often there are toe tags to make and put on a set of flies where someone forgot to do that. Taking everything to the Post Office where the clerk checks the postage on each and every package to make sure it's right & paying a little extra postage where someone was short. So, YES, there is a LOT more to it than sticking a few flies in a box & mailing them back. It involves a lot of careful work and patience to make sure, to the best of your ability that you get it right, and I think we do a pretty good job of it, most of the time. And hope our fellow swappers will understand when we goof.

Take care

BB

Hey Guys, the LAST set of flies arrived today. And they are a VERY sweet set of soft hackle flies. Can't wait to get them wet. Thanks, Joseph Russell. I appreciate everyone getting your flies in this quickly. I am going to be on the road most of tomorrow and if I have any time left over, I'll spend it waiting in line at the polls. Our PO closes at Noon on Wednesday so it may be Thursday before I can get them out. IF I can get them out before then, I'll let you know.

Thanks for your patience.

Take care

BB

A great looking box of flies arrived today. Thanks everyone and a big thanks to Breambuster for hosting and getting the flies mailed out to everyone quickly.

Got the October flies in today, really nice set of flies. Thanks to BB for getting these out in a timely manner.