Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
trez

Too much Whiting saddle hackle swap....idea questions

SWAP HAS BEEN STARTED ON ANOTHER THREAD

PLEASE JOIN US!!

I'd like to start a swap, here is the background and two ideas:

Background:

During the hair feather fashion fad in 2011, I was unemployed and found work buying and selling Whiting dry fly hackle on e-bay. I was able to take care of my family for the year and buy (for cash) a much needed wheel chair van for my son who was born quadriplegic. Long and the short of it, it was a job. All of this came out of dying, plucking and selling my prized box of Whiting saddle hackle and buying and selling out of the profits.

Now that the feathers are back to being worth more as hackle, I find myself with an over abundance of Whiting saddle hackle in natural and "fashion colors" (hot pink, purple, green, blue, turquoise, red etc...)

All I don't have is a lot of Grizzly or barred types as these always sold fast.

I have several boxes of saddles left over and would like to have some fun with this. I have two swap ideas. Please read them and let me know your thoughts.

Idea 1

I send 20 or so hackle feathers to each tier (about 100 flies worth). They would then be responsible to tie up a dozen flies to send back to me in trade for the hackle. You get hackle I get flies...

Idea 2

I create a list of 12 different colors of hackle that I have (maybe post a picture) and each tier picks a color. I send out hackle in that color to each participant.

Side note...You would get enough to experiment with and have left overs to make some for yourself.

Each participant creates a fly they think would work well with their unique color and ties up 12 flies + a few for me to "exchange for the hackle and my shipping costs". Then it operates like a normal swap and each participant gets one of the other's flies. The bright colors could be used as a color spot, Hi-visibility, Para-looped, whatever.

My main purpose here is to get some of this hackle to people who will use it so it doesn't just sit in plastic boxes in the shop and to get ideas of how to use some of these unusual colors for hackle on flies that will catch fish.

Any interest??? Most of the feathers would tie size 14-18 dry flies and are 8"-12" long

I think either could be fun. Let me know,

Trez

Sounds like a very cool idea. I have been playing around tying large micro barb streamers and would love to share them. I'd be game for either swap. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Its an interesting idea. You'll be relying on some honesty that folk do receive your feathers and don't claim them 'lost in transit'. It would certainly work if you had physical access to a tying club or similar.

I looked at my stash again and realized that this swap wouldn't even put a dent in it. Therefore, as a bonus to those who choose to join me, I will be sending out some extra hackle in natural colors to each of you that could be mixed with the dyed stuff or just used for your personal flies. I'll enjoy "giving back" so to speak. I'm leaning more towards my idea 2 swap.

As for the honesty part. They have a banned swappers list here so the dishonest might be able to get away with it once or twice but what goes around comes around....

I'm not worried, with 20+ lifetimes worth of hackle, it won't hurt me. In the end God deals with those that choose dishonest gain.

I would ask, if your an honest soul, that if you choose to drop out you send the hackle back for someone else.

If this works out well, I'll most likely do it more than once so more could join in. 12 people at a time seems to be the norm. Otherwise people have to tie too many and loose interest.

This sounds like it would be a fun swap. I'm in for either swap. I like the idea of the more traditional swap as we all get to see what was tied.

If you're taking foreign nationals I'd be in with either version you are looking at. Especially if you are leaving fly type generally open

I don't usually do swaps, but this sounds interesting. Classic techniques with gaudy materials....

Add me to the list. :)

Sounds fun, I'd like to join in this one, either version though I too would like to see folks' ties.

Would like to get in on this, as long as you don't mind someone who ties mostly bluegill flies. Colored feathers are just the thing for those critters.