Fly Tying
salmobytes

Project Crayfish

Interesting tie.....that Vimeo crawfish. I have a hunch I'll use some of those ideas. But edit it down a bit so it tends toward faster and easier to tie. If possible anyway.

Here is another one. The body and claws are made from some type of fuzzy yarn I got at JoAnn's fabrics. The claws were flattened with E-6000 glue and then covered with Sally Hansen. The tail is a flattened x-small dumbbell eye. The back was trimmed and covered with UV epoxy and then with Sally Hansen nail polish. The claws arms are very flexable. The hook is a #4 aberdeen that sells for about $1 for 20 at Walmart.

post-37228-0-63839600-1418402917_thumb.jpg

Here is another one. The body and claws are made from some type of fuzzy yarn I got at JoAnn's fabrics. The claws were flattened with E-6000 glue and then covered with Sally Hansen. The tail is a flattened x-small dumbbell eye. The back was trimmed and covered with UV epoxy and then with Sally Hansen nail polish. The claws arms are very flexable. The hook is a #4 aberdeen that sells for about $1 for 20 at Walmart.

I LOVE THAT!!!! thats a great idea with the flattened dumbell eyes for a tail! gonna have to give this a shot for sure!

Yes bead chain eyes on the large one ...Mono eyes, body is counter weighted with lead shot. The others with bead chain have lead wire wraps under foam body.... which helps to sink them also. One of the smaller ones behave like a standing yabby with the claws held up in an aggressive posture.

This crayfish is really good!! One of (if not) the best I've ever seen! I am definitely gonna tie a bunch up. How do you make the arms? I have the fuzzy stuff already, but do you just tie in a strand on each side and cover it with glue, or do you twist it so it doubles over or something?

I tied in the antenna first. Tie on a length of yarn that will become the body near the bend. I then took a length of the fuzzy yarn equal to both arms plus 1", folded it in half then tied it at the fold to the hook shank near the bend. Next attach the bumbell eyes near the hook eye and flatten. Then put one wrap the body yarn in front of the pincher arms and then continue wrapping back to the tail. Trim the fuzz on the top of the crawdad. Apply E-6000 glue to the pinchers, squeeze flat and pull fibers toward the end. When hard, trim to length, shape and cover with clear nail polish. Apply 2 coats of UV epoxy to the top of the crawdad (trimmed yarn area) and the tail to simulate the shell. I have not tried this, but a small piece of 2mm foam under each pincher may cause them to float up and move in the current.

Team trout, do you recall the name of that yarn?

Thanks for all the steps. I'll definitely tie some up!

And sorry, the yarn I have was just a little ball I found in my wife's supply. I need more though, so I'll make another trip to JoAnns. If I can find it, I'll let you know.

Bugging out some brown yarn with a dubbing pick or piece of Velcro may give a similar result. Probably not as good as the original yarn though.

I found the name of that yarn that I used in my crawdad, it's Bernat's Pipsqueak. A lifetime supply for 20 people can be had for $4 at JoAnn Fabrics. For about the same price a very small package can be had through Hareline. They call it Wide Pseudo Herl 1/2".

I found the name of that yarn that I used in my crawdad, it's Bernat's Pipsqueak. A lifetime supply for 20 people can be had for $4 at JoAnn Fabrics. For about the same price a very small package can be had through Hareline. They call it Wide Pseudo Herl 1/2".

Thanks heavynets! I made a trip yesterday, but couldn't find it. Now I'll have to order more!

And it's only $3.19 right now with a select yarn sale smile.gif. Order now to save 81 cents!