Fly Tying
tightlines

5 year from now

Where do people see themselves 5 years from now with regards to fly fishing. Personaly I hope to have my guide company running smoothly and have a decent clientell.

Just curious what others had in mind for the future.

tightlines

As the new owner of a Twin Bridges rod making shop who takes the company away from new-age 'biz think' and sets it back on its roots as an uncompromising company who builds the finest American rods they can and while heeding the wishes of its clientele.

Then I woke up! rolleyes.gif

I will be fishing every state west of the Mississippi!!! Graham and SH69 I'm coming out your way!

BFR

I'd like to have my business grown to the point that I'm actually selling a few gadgets beyond flies and operating in the black! smile.gif

As for my personal fishing, I'm hoping for a family Yellowstone trip right around that time and hope to have gotten a little more intimate with the central PA waters. cool.gif

Peddler,

I really like you dream, THAT would be a great thing!!!!

Those were all great answers and Bentflyrod I'm looking forward to helping keep the bend in the rod out west, spring or fall is best. I hope we are all still sharing and having fun on the FTF in 5 years, seriously. Other than that, in 5 years, I hope to be working, healthy, tying and catching, smiling and looking forward to 10 years from now. Thats when, at the latest, I plan on leaving the smog and traffic in L.A. to move away and live in a better environment with good trout fishing. A simpler more relaxed enjoyable life, that's all I want.

Graham

In 5 years i hope i will have completed training for the merchant marines and since that carree provides great vacation benefits i hope to go on some great fishing trips. I will definetely explore alaska a lot more. My single goal for the next 5 years is to catch an alaskan bow over 15 pounds. I'v caught a few over 10 but the 15 plus pounder remains elusive.

Actually, in five years I'm just hoping to still be healthy from recovery from my current injury. Want my tying business to be the same, since I never wanted it to rule my life in the first place. In five years, just will be "life as usual". Back to hunting and fishing. Back to an occasional whitewater trip. My tying life will hopefully be the same. Never plan to ever tie production again, so will keep my small clientele I have had. So, don't foresee anything really changing. Just back to life as usual.

QUOTE (Graham @ Feb 6 2005, 02:19 AM)
Those were all great answers and Bentflyrod I'm looking forward to helping keep the bend in the rod out west, spring or fall is best.  I hope we are all still sharing and having fun on the FTF in 5 years, seriously.  Other than that, in 5 years, I hope to be working, healthy, tying and catching, smiling and looking forward to 10 years from now.  Thats when, at the latest, I plan on leaving the smog and traffic in L.A. to move away and live in a better environment with good trout fishing.  A simpler more relaxed enjoyable life, that's all I want.
Graham

Graham, Newfoundland, besides the world class fishing and the remote wilderness, there is a 4 or 5 woman to man ratio. Besides its always good to learn a new language.

Im working on getting there! My freind, a Newfoundland rock starr, "George Boy" is from there and we are working on a fishing, hunting camp to get out of the Bloodworm racket.

5 years, Seems like a long time but it will probably fly by. I hope to have a nice cabin somewhere by a nice trout stream that I can visit often. I can see the cabin and the stream but I haven't found it yet. The smoke rising from the chimney with the trickle of a trout stream behind me as I walk up for lunch.

I don't have to worry about the kids playing outside because they know to stay away from the snakes and bears since they look like snakes and bears. My wife she can sit by the fire all day and read or watch Oprah (lol) wrapped up in a warm blanket by the fire. Life as it should be. smile.gif

Look my plans have changed already! I may have to follow daryn to Newfoundland! laugh.gif laugh.gif

BFR

In 5 years i hope to be retired for my present Job sick.gif

Living and fishing in the hart of Michigan's AuSable river area

Producing a few custom Split cane fly rods and graphite on the off season, and bothering my son's in Florida when it gets real cold dunno.gif devil.gif

OSD.

QUOTE (daryn smith @ Feb 6 2005, 07:34 AM)
4 or 5 woman to man ratio.

It looks like I will be living in Newfoundland! tongue.gif

I hope to be fishing alot more than now. I will be done with Grad school and qualify for another 2.5 days of vacation from work.

Wow what a great thread. I wrote an "in five years" paper once in college not that long ago and the five years has come and gone, but really it's funny I read it once and awhile and realizing I'm right where I planned to be with the exception of owning my own home that's the 5-7 year plan. Seriously it really shows that you need to set goals, small ones, bigger ones, and large ones, short term, and long term goals.

In five years I want to be continuing to enjoy and advance further in my present career.

When it comes to fishing I hope to have become a River Guide in the Province of Nova and guide the Margaree River in the summer and fall in my Hyde River drift boat which I can jump into just before sunrise after walking down to the bank from my Summer home overlooking one of the Margaree's many beautiful pools and drift down to the Forks as the sun is rising and the salmon begin to leap high into the air.

In five years I'd like to see my fly tying business to have grown to a sustainable level, my Fly tying association to have gained huge popularity and become a success. To be published in magazines both in print and web. To have written at least one book on beginner fly tying and share with others what I've learned from my mistakes.

Overall to be Healthy, Happy, and still in love with my wife. That shouldn't be hard she can tie flies and fly fish.

Great thread, thank you.

Im really glad you enjoy this thread, I find posting such a thread not only helps me realize where I am in my life but also find others who are in similar situations and maybe be inspired. Just as glad as you are to see this thread I am equally as happy to have started it.

I really hope to meet many of you in person on fantastic fishing trips and share a few wobbly pops with you (Ill bring the CDN beer)

Tightlines