Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kimo

Umpqua Fly Submissions

the "inventor" is the tyer who ends up with the royalty check in their hand.

I know a tyer who submitted a really awesome hellgramite pattern of his, and it was turned down because it was too complicated, too many steps in the tying process. They were right, it has 19 or 20 steps to make it look and act right. Excellent pattern, but not worth production tying.

A friend of mine who's also a contract tyer got a quarterly royalty check a few years back and took his family to dinner on the proceeds... it was McDonald's...

Sounds almost as lucrative as getting a fly fishing book published...

J-Kno,

You probably will make more from royalties on a fly than you will publishing a book in the long run.

Jerry Hubka's first book makes him less than a dollar a book and sales have flattened. They did have 3 print runs.

And fly fishing book sales have dropped.

Kimo

Hahaha, Kimo, I was being sarcastic for those in the know... I was shocked to learn how much you didn't make writing a book. Now, how to turn my hobby into a write-off.... lol

I do enjoy writing an occasional article on fishing topics (I'm kind of an omnivore - fly is just one more way to doing things for us saltwater types...) but these days magazines that used to buy or even solicit the occasional article have all but disappeared. If you have a favorite magazine -enjoy it now since it doesn't have a great future... In that world the rise of magazines that are basically almost 80% ads is an irritant. Those same magazines cheerfully encourage their readers to send in articles which they'll use.. for free...

I do have a book or two that might be in my future - but only if I'm forced to leave the water and I'm still above ground.... On the fishing end of things it won't be to earn a penny. I'd consider it an honor to pass along a few things that many others were kind enough to teach me (one way or the other....).

Here's my take on it... Regardless of how much - or how little the royalty is, you are getting residual money for the life of the fly. Pretty cool by my book. I actually got my royalty check the other day and went and bought a shotgun... For work that I did 10 years ago. Rainy's flies gives 10% and does a good job of networking flies. My two top sellers are in most Cabela's stores and they have to order BOOKOO flies to keep them in stock.

Here's my take on it... Regardless of how much - or how little the royalty is, you are getting residual money for the life of the fly. Pretty cool by my book. I actually got my royalty check the other day and went and bought a shotgun... For work that I did 10 years ago. Rainy's flies gives 10% and does a good job of networking flies. My two top sellers are in most Cabela's stores and they have to order BOOKOO flies to keep them in stock.

That rocks! I dig your site btw.

What are the names of your flies? Would love to check them out

That rocks! I dig your site btw.

Thanks man

When submitting a fly, did you only submit to Rainy's? I'm just wondering if you could submit to Umpqua, Orvis, Rainy's, and whatever other ones are out there, to maximize your chances and ultimately, the number that sells.

When submitting a fly, did you only submit to Rainy's? I'm just wondering if you could submit to Umpqua, Orvis, Rainy's, and whatever other ones are out there, to maximize your chances and ultimately, the number that sells.

To increase your chances, you should submit to as many as possible. However, once one company selects your fly, I would imagine that it cannot be carried by another company.

Be aware that they all have different submission processes.

Submit your patterns to whoever you like -but if you're picked up by Umpqua they very specifically require that you not work for anyone else in the trade... as long as you're with them. Don't know about other companies and their policies.

Umpqua can't really enforce a pattern copyright so they trademark your name in relationship to fly tying patterns.
You also have to identify a benefactor. Yep, when you die your kids can benefit from your expensive yet rewarding hobby.

Kimo