Fly Tying
jdecoudres

marabou

When you use marabou for a example to tie on the tail of a woolly bugger. Once you get that tail tied in is the rest of the feather trash or can you tie multiple tails with that one marabou plum?

You can strip off the fibers from the sides of the feather and use them as well. I have a few extra select marabou feathers that I tie several flies with.

For short tails, I have marabou from a Halloween boa ... from Dollar tree. I can only get one tail's worth of material from each feather.

You'd have to show us a picture of what's left, for anyone to be able to tell you if it's useful or not.

Sometimes you can get several flies out of one feather, depending on the particular fly and feather.

This works best for flies with a fairly sparse tail, like maybe a damsel fly nymph. Hold the tips of the feather and stroke back fibers from the rear until you have the volume of tips needed for the fly. Cut the stem where the fibers are separated. Tie your first fly with with the tips. You are then left with a 'V' shape. Hold the tips of the reamining 'V' and repeat the process.

It depends. As said before extra select marabou (my preference) you peel off the fibers from the sides you can get several flies out of each feather. With strung blood quills I will usually only get one out of each feather after I clean out the fibers I don't want.