Fly Tying
August9999

Saltwater Backwater Kayak Fishing

Hey there,

later this week I plan on going kayaking in my local bay. I've fished it all my life but this is the first time I will be attempting to fly fish it. I will be fishing mangroves and a deepish sand flat (4-6ft) for snook, seatrout, redfish, and possibly jacks/ladyfish if boredom kicks in. So I was wondering if I could get some tips such as best way to fly fish a mangrove wall/sand flat and if I need to tie anything else. What I have in my box right now are:

• EP Baitfish
  • Clousers
  • Schminnows
  • Tomoka Mullet sort of fly
  • Gurglers
  • A Shrimp.

The weather is said to be about 8mph winds and the temperature will be mid 60's.

Thanks for the help,

August

The only tip I can provide is to use weedless flies if possible and start each retrieve right up in the mangrove roots... Hope you do well and post up how it goes. I'd be interested in what area you're in as well.

Okay, I might tie up some weedless flies. And I'll be sure to post a full report on here afterwards. I am fishing on the Southwest coast of Florida, around Estero Bay.

bend backs are my favorite for throwing at the trees. Not only are they weedless, but they are much easier to pop out of the branches when you throw one too long